1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to tell family and friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mikey34, Jun 26, 2015.

1. mikey34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Seeing all these guys come out has been inspiring plus the legalization of gay marriage. I have not fully come out yet . If someone asks I dont deny it but i dont verify it either. I told my mother and she cried at first then she decided that she didnt want anyone else to know about me. She still is very uneducated about being a gay man and is only focused on the stereotype. I told my aunt and she said she didnt care and loves me unconditionally. The problem I have is I am afraid my other family wont treat me the same even though they are supportive of other glbt people. I am currently getting financial help from my parents due to bad luck . I am afraid if i tell others her or my dad will cut me off. I am getting a job but it hasnt been finalized. I am way more happy in my personal life accepting i am a gay man. I want to get married and have kids etc. the bottom line is I want my familys support. My plan was to have a good job, be happy, and have a great guy to show them I am a happier person. I was miserable for 30 yrs.

2. dwelefan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well can't you wait until your job is finalized until you tell others ? I would just hold out until I know I have a job if I were you. Your other family may be more supportive than you think once you finally come out. You have already made big steps by telling some people. You should be proud of yourself

3. mikey34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you , yeah i guess ive just been dealing with it so long its a good idea to wait. This telling people gets blown way out of proportion. Heterosexuals don't go around telling others they are straight. If somebody asks ill tell them but i need to pick and choose who . Close family and friends are all that need to know. That way all bases are covered and i am ready for whatever reaction they might have.