1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bad to text someone to tell them you're gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by google, Jun 26, 2015.

1. google

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My friend is out of town for 2 weeks and I Feel like i want to come out to her over text or something because it will be easier.

Is that like a "no-no"?

2. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's absolutely right. The first time I came out to somebody was via e-mail because I didn't feel comfortable enough to do it face to face. The best way to come out is the one that you decide.

3. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it is inherently bad. The first time I came out to anyone, I sent an email to my best friend. I knew ahead of time that he wouldn't have a problem with it. Do you think that your friend would be accepting and supportive of you? If so, then I don't think that sending it in a text would hurt. If you are not completely sure how she would react, then I think that it would be best for you to wait until you can tell her in person. It is very hard to tell how people are really feeling over text.

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think it's totally ok. If that's what makes you feel comfortable then why not? I mean in this situation, it's okay because it's not like say breaking up over text where you're doing it so you don't have to face the person ever again. You're going to see her again anyway because she's your friend and you may even talk with her about it more when you see her. So in the end it doesn't really matter how you get the message to her. Best of luck!<3

5. Posthuman666

It is a valid way to come out. Coming out when your not comfortable con be bad for everybody.

6. Oh Lilac

It is perfectly okay. This is about you. Your life. You don't owe it to anyone, so tell them in any way you want!

7. guitar

I prefer face-to-face conversation, but I have come out to friends via texts/emails/facebook convos. In a way, writing makes it easier if you're more adept at writing because it gives you more time think and craft your words in a more precise way.

Whatever way works best for you. At the end of the day, what matters is that you've come out, however they hear it.

8. W34LTH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course it's absolutely okay! I think it's a great way to come out to someone you're not sure how they'd handle it. If they react well over text/message, then it's a good indacator you may proceed to talk about it face to face comfortably. At the end, you don't owe it to anyone. Whatever you feel safe & comfortable with.

9. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

if you feel like this is a more comfortable way. sure.

10. QuietFishy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats exactly how I first came out so your not alone. In my opinion there really isn't a wrong way to come out. If telling the person face to face make you uncomfortable then you don't have to do that. It also gives the other person time to process and give them time to think about responding. You come out the way that makes you most comfortable.

11. Storm Chaser

Yeah, it's fine, I still am unable to say it out loud and it's really hard so to the few people I've come out to it's always has been via text.

12. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think something like coming out needs to have any sort of prescribed etiquette. Whatever you need to do to be comfortable opening up and being honest with your friend is totally legit. Go for it.

Although I guess you might risk your friend thinking someone just stole your phone and is playing a prank. Hm. I guess try to keep the writing personal, so she knows it's you.

13. klix

I came out to my sister, and two friends by text, and my parents over the phone...

I actually talked to them about this after the fact, and they understood that a face to face conversation is very difficult, for me there was a lot of psyching myself up for it also.

Totally normal and fine, good luck!