1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my parents.or friends first ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lost sole, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Lost sole

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have recently accepted who I am and have started coming out , I am not shy about my sexuality n I even were clothes that shout SHE IS A LESBIAN . But still boys approach me . I am tired of this and I just want to come out of my closet . I have told a few ( well 2 ) of my friends n they have accepted me n they support me . But lately I have been thinking of telling everyone , I just don't know if I should start by telling my parents of my friends . Help need advice ..... Fast !

2. Foz

Foz Guest

I found coming out to a friend was good to see what it feels like to come out before I announce it to my family.

3. Lyana

Hi Lost sole,

There's no right or wrong way to go about this, no single "order." It depends on whom you feel comfortable telling, and whose reaction will have the effects you're looking for. For example, if you want your friends to stop asking you whether you think this or that guy is hot, then you could come out to them. If you want your mother to stop asking you when you'll have a boyfriend, then maybe you should come out to her. That kind of thing.

If you want to tell everyone, anyway, it doesn't really matter in which order you do it. If you think your parents might be unsupportive (definitely be sure they won't kick you out before coming out!!), you might want to tell more of your friends first, so you can have moral support in case things get hurtful.

Personally, I told my friends before telling my mother, because my friends are more a part of my daily life than my mother is, now. But you could definitely do it the other way around.

4. Creator

I came out to my friend, who came out to me months earlier. It was much easier than my parents as I do not see him day and night, all the time. This meant it left time to recover if needed and it has now set me someone to talk to and help me if thats what I need. I'd recomend finding a private and personal time with a good friend and talk to them about it.

Kind regards,
    Creator.

5. Lost sole

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for the advice . I will keep your words in mine