1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help tell my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by badger, Jun 28, 2015.

1. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't really come out to anyone besides my best friend. She is great about it! My concerns now revolve me telling my parents because I feel like they deserve to know next. The reason I'm so nervous is because they think this way of me right now but I feel like once I tell them, the way they think about me and their own happiness will be different in a bad way. I know they will still love me and be there for me but I just feel like they will be different around me, and I can't really explain how but I just feel like they might. Also I just don't want them to be unhappy the rest of their lives because at this point in their lives, I'm what they think/talk about at their age (not that they don't have lives, but i feel like once you become parents, your life starts to revolve around your children more and more). I don't want to change anything. How do I convince myself that they will accept me and not change in a way I don't want them to. I need some motivation to come out to them somehow.

2. Posthuman666

I am in a very similar situation. Im out to 2 friends, and want to come out to my parents. It think what you are experiencing is the main fear of coming out: what if they see me differently? I think you really just have to plan things out and think of a time where you are all on good terms and they are in a good mood. Don't rush anything, and don't come out until your ready, but at the same time don't stay in forever.

I am in the same situation, and its tough, but staying in the closet is tougher.