1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely anxious all the time about coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Corieil, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Corieil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey so I'm new here and I guess I just need someone to talk to. I came to terms with myself being gay a while ago and I'm pretty proud and okay with it. The problem is I really want to come out and also want to know how my family will take the news but I know it's so much smarter and strategic to wait until I'm financially stable and live on my own.

Right now I'm constantly anxious and have a horrible fire in my stomach because I just want to tell my parents but they're catholic and I have no clue how they'd react. How would you deal with getting the anxiety to go away without just coming out to them because it's too risky?

Thanks!

2. RoseLalonde

Out Status:
    A few people
    Coming out can be really difficult, especially if you don't know how somebody will take it. It can cause a lot of anxiety as well, which can be really frustrating. Perhaps you could bring up the topic of same sex marriage being legal in the USA and see what they think about it. Maybe it will give you a bit of an idea on their opinions on the subject. Just wait until you're ready though. Good luck!

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Discussing gay marriage is good advice, because it is a current event that you can talk about abstractly to see what your parents think about it, and how they express their feelings about it, calmly or with anger and negative opinion. You can express your views about the topic without any obvious connection to the issue, and see how they respond to your views on the topic. Once you know where your parents stand, you will be in a better position to consider your own options and potential actions, and maybe less anxious and uncertain.