1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PerkyWallflower, Jun 29, 2015.

1. PerkyWallflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really need another person's advice on this...

Hi, I'm a 16 year old junior in high school and I identify as a bisexual girl. I've come out as bi to my friends but never had the courage to tell my parents. My parents and I have never been very close, and they've made their homophobia pretty clear since I was little. They're not religious, but are still opposed to queer people, saying that it's "disgusting" and "unnatural". I've been putting off telling them since, being bi, I've been hoping that I'll fall for a boy instead of a girl.

However, this girl I've been crushing for two years asked me out (!) and I'm definitely not going to turn her down. It's just that I haven't told her that I'm not out to my parents. I don't want to risk my parents finding out that I'm queer from seeing me kiss a girl (which would be terrible) but I'm so terrified of how they'd react if I told came out.

Should I tell the girl that I'm going to go out with to keep it a secret or come out to my parents?

Thanks for your replies in advance. :slight_smile:

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

This might not be advice, but I wanted to tell you something that might help:

My parents say exactly the same things (that it's "unnatural", "disgusting" - words both of them have used). However, when I was forced by my mum to come out to her, she accepted me, though I think she took it as a bit of a blow and still talks about me having girlfriends. My dad, whose opinion is the same (of general disquiet and being uncomfortable) seems to have accepted me and couldn't care less.

I guess it depends on the parents - I don't know what yours are like - but their opinion on you being bi might be different from their general opinion of queer people and things. Might be different, I have to emphasise.

This might not be the situation with you but, regardless, I wish you the best of luck.

3. PerkyWallflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, thanks, I'll think about what you have said. I'm really hoping my parents will react like yours did. Fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

4. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. PerkyWallflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

6. ant12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    it's tricky cause you're so young. I believe your parents would accept you eventually though