1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out/socially transitioning in college, transgender ftm, advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Envy, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Envy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope this isn't too much text, sorry. Also, not sure if this belongs here, or in the gender identity forum.

So, its taking an emotional and mental toll on me presenting as female, being referred to as she/her etc... More than i thought it was, like all the feelings are crashing down on me at once. And I was Thinking of coming out at school and telling my two main classes and the two main teachers of my course at my college that I identify as male, and asking them to use a different name and male pronouns. I have one friend that's in that course with me who I know will for sure support me, and use my preferred name, and male pronouns right away, and I really believe at least some of my other classmates will too, I'm not sure about everyone else, or either of the teachers really, but I think I can live with some rejection if it means I can at least reffer to myself as male out loud without worrying too much.

So I was wanting opinions on that, and maybe advice on how to go about it. Should I tell my class all at once, or maybe talk to the teachers first? There aren't any lgbt groups in my school, or even in my city really, so I don't have many other people besides a few friends to talk to about it. I know the school isn't going to kick me out or anything, so thats not a worry, I'm just not sure how to go about things in all honesty.

Also was wondering if anyone knew how getting my name changed before or after I graduate would affect my place in the school, or the degree or jobs, because I'm in the school under a female name, and if that's on my degree that might be an issue with a different name later for jobs or something, or how to do school paperwork to let them know I changed my name if I do it before I leave?