1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

all my friends are straight guys???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ant12, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ant12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im not attracted to any of them in any way whatsoever. They are like my brothers. In fact, my brother and i have a lot of the same friends, and i know my brother is pro gay. One of my friends are homophobic, so i know coming out won't be easy.. Not sure what i should do

2. Chicagoblue

If you live in a big city or big city suburb chances are your friends are tolerant. You'll be the new "token gay dude" in an endearing way. Start with the most pro-gay guys (your bro?) first and ask for their help/support as you talk to the other guys...you'll do the coming out but they can support you when the most recent 'came out to guys' turn to them with shock/questions/whatever.

Work your way toward the homophobic friend. If he hears that all is OK from the other guys he'll still be waiting for you to talk to him and my guess is he'll accept it (albeit with a long look on his face). Sounds like a good group of guys.

#2 Chicagoblue, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in very similar circumstances to you a few years ago. I also have a pro gay brother who I share a lot of straight male friends with. I spoke to my brother first and he was great, I think it even brought us closer because it was that moment for him when everything clicked into place - he could always sense there was something he didn't quite understand about me, although I didn't understand it myself for a long time.

Most of my friends know now and have been fine, so far even the ones who I thought might be awkward with it have been cool. My advice is confide in your bro and build up gradually from there to telling one or two other trusted friends, but only when you feel ready and at the right moment. Good luck with it.

4. bigcityboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Chicagoblue. I think you should start by telling your brother because it seems like he'll definitely accept you. Plus, it's a great time to tell him considering the recent SCOTUS ruling and the awesome Pride celebrations. Then you can work on telling your other more accepting friends until you tell the homophobic friend. You might even change your homophobic friend's views if he knows he has a gay friend who, like all LGBT people, is just a normal person. If you think he is too homophobic or stubborn, you don't have to tell him if you don't want to. But, if you tell accepting friends first they can be your base of support and help you try to convince him to change his mind.

However, I don't think that coming out to your straight guy friends means you have to be defined as the "token gay dude." Unless you find it endearing, which not everyone does, you could try just explaining, you're not "the gay dude", you're just a normal dude who also happens to be gay. Being gay doesn't have to completely define you unless you want it to, or if you let it. It can be a tiring experience to be pigeonholed as "the gay friend," because it might overshadow your other great qualities. Personally, I didn't let this happen to me when I started coming out to friends.

I have a similar story because all my guy friends are straight too, but I had this one friend who seemed really conservative. I came out to my brother first and two other friends (a guy and a girl) about a year ago and they were really cool about it. A few months later, they helped me come out to my conservative friend who took it very well. He's now become one of my closest confidants about my gay issues and is fully accepting of me, and he fully supports gay marriage too! The only thing we still argue about concerning LGBT issues is transgender rights, which he doesn't support. I'm still trying to convince him on those and I'm sure I'll get him eventually. Otherwise, overall he has been a great friend to me in the 9 months since I came out to him and we've become very close.

The point is that I'm sure your homophobic friend will come around after you tell him, maybe not immediately, but eventually. And if he doesn't, then you don't need him in your life, and I'm sure your other friends and your brother will defend you if he bullies or insults you for being gay. Good luck! Sorry if this was really long! LOL

#4 bigcityboy, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015