1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out as trans but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cedar, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Cedar

So I thought it was overdue that I came out to my mum but I did it over facebook(she's away on a trip right now). It just felt impossible to do it face-to-face. So anyways, she tells me that I need to accept being female whether I like it or not, you'd kinda think she would be more supportive since she's a doctor:bang:. At one point, I suggested exploring men's clothing, cutting my hair, stuff like that and she again tells me to accept being female whether I like it or not. How can I do that since it feels like I'm wearing someone else's skin? Do I have to move out of her house before I could ever do something like that? Yes, I still live with her because it isn't the best option for me to live on my own again, for now. At least she didn't kick me out, yet. I would like to have the option of living on my own, even if it may be harder since I don't have a car of my own. With that being said, I also have to go to this gender identity clinic that's in Toronto and(I don't actually live in London, it's just the closest large city) that's a seven hour drive, one that neither my mum or the local org that does medically related transit will do. I don't know what to do about the situation.:help:

2. RainDreamer

How about laying low and try to pretend for a while, telling your mom you want to go to a university in Toronto?

And that is horrible how your mom reacted...but maybe because it was on facebook and she couldn't take it seriously. When I came out to my own mom I had to tell her in person, because I know telling her in any other way wouldn't work. It is harder to avert your eyes from the truth when it is right there in front of you. So in this case, you have to be a little bit selfish and take it to her. If she turn around, then it is all good. If not, try laying low and say you want to go to toronto for education or something.

3. Dakeli27

Hopefully your mom will come around eventually, because if not it might be for the best to eventually move out. Try to make her see that it isn't that you can't accept that you're female, but that you're finally accepting that you're male, ask her whether she thinks that how you think, act, and feel is more important than your body, and ask whether, even if she doesn't support it, it's worth it to do something that will make you happier and more comfortable with yourself. Hope this helped.

4. Cedar

Thanks for the replies! I'm one of those people that tend to not joke around like that but it could always be a possibility that she didn't take it seriously, I'll have to try and speak with her about it if I could. There are plenty of good schools in Toronto that I could go to as well but I still don't have a good sense of direction in what I want to do.:eusa_doh: I think I need to give it some more thought, perhaps when I'm not so frazzled.