1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you tell someone you're gay out loud?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ilovesg, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a hard time talking about things, especially stuff like this. I want to come out to my sister and I don't want to text her or write her a letter. I always downplay things even if they're important to me and so I want to say it to her in person, but I have a hard time saying it out loud. I told all of my friends over text, but I feel like I should tell my sister in an actual conversation. I don't know how to bring it up, whether to be serious or joke about it, or when. Basically I have no idea how to come out to someone in person lol.

2. Van

Van

Hey, hon!

How old is your sister?

As I was reading thru your post I immediately thought of this - you're in your closet calling your sister to come. You yell from the inside - 'I'm coming out!' and then open the door and ask her 'you got it?' :grin:

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say if you don't know for sure she will accept you, try to catch her in a good mood, and then do something nice to brighten her day before you tell her, im sure you know what she likes, living with her and all.

from what I've seen, people often have better first impressions on a subject when they're happy, sometimes that even seems to work with grumpy stepdads. (Used to live with an asshole stepdad, and for him shrugging it off and getting back to work is a positive response. Grumpy person tested I guess, haha)

Anyway trying not to stroll too far off topic but yeah. When I did, I tried to not say anything that would upset them, tried to keep a positive tone but still show that it's a serious matter. That was just me, though! Coming out is a lot different for everyone, and everyone has different people to come out to of course so results vary. Just have to be yourself of course, have to try to keep cool though; it's rather stressful the first time especially with family.

Really wish you the best of luck!

4. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My sister is 28. I kind of want to make it as lighthearted as possible but I don't want to her to think I'm just joking you know. lol I wish I could do the closet thing

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2015 at 12:15 AM ----------

I hang out with her a lot so I will have a lot of opportunities to tell her and she's usually in a good mood, well most of the time lol. Even just thinking about saying it makes my heart start to go crazy. This makes me so nervous

5. Ashleigh16

Just maybe when you're just talking honestly and seriously tell her you have something to tell her and go for it :slight_smile:

6. Van

Van

Oh, she's a grown up. Just tell her. :slight_smile: What are her views on LGBTQIA issues? If she's not a homophobe, just tell her. :slight_smile:

I remember when I told my sister, who was the first family member I came out to. I was super nervous, I was so visibly shaking, that she was like - calm down, stop shaking. :grin: I thought she would be rather accepting. At first she was extremely surprised and thought I was only joking, but an hour later she said 'OK, I think I'm fine with it'. 3 years later I still don't know what she really thinks, we haven't spoken about this since then.

Good luck and let me know how it goes! (*hug*)

7. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know what her views on LGBT issues are because sometimes she says mean things about gay people, but she's not a mean person. I think she's a little misinformed, but not homophobic. I tried to say it out loud to myself today and it was awkward, so I think I'm going to wait a while to tell her lol

8. Clay

You say "Hey sis I need to talk to you about something/I have to tell you something".

Then you say "I'm gay".

The more you overthink it, the less likely you are to do it.

9. Van

Van

Then you should probably wait until you feel more comfortable saying it out loud. :thumbsup:

10. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Well, I never really say that I'm gay, but I had this conversation with some neighbors yesterday who apparently hadn't picked up that I'm a "friend of Dorothy."

Rather, part of it. We were talking about the fact that my estate in the house I am currently in would expire if I were to cease actually living in it, and it would just be sold off, with me getting the selling price.

"Yes, if I were to move in with some guy in town I've been dating, for instance, then after the executor of the state got wind of it, they would have a "for sale" sign out there as soon as possible."

"You say...what? Some guy?"

"Yes. If I were dating a guy, or something, and I decided to move in with him..."

"Uh..."

"...it would go on the market, and it would be sold. I'm not going to do that because I really like where I am situated right now."

"...okay."

Basically, my way is to just flow along. I don't like to let people make a fine point of the fact that I'm not dancing around my sexuality or scurrying away trying to hide it. It annoys me. I just talk about the consequences of the fact that I am a gay guy as they affect my everyday life.

At a job interview yesterday, just a short-term sales job to hold me over while I wait for a better prospect, I was asked how well I could deal with rejection. I said to the interviewer, "Well, I'm LGBT, man. Dealing with rejection is old hat. I can handle being turned down very well." See? There was a context. There was a reason for saying it. I didn't just pop the information on him and make it the focus of the conversation. I was hired, by the way.

So it's not that you just tell a person, with no context, that you're LGBT. You don't have to, anyway. If you want to, you can just roll along with it. Power through that person's double-take reaction.