1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to come out to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soph14, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Soph14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm really confident now when it comes to coming out to my friends and every time I've told them they're always so supportive and it makes me feel sooo good about myself.

but then it comes to my family, i mean I'm not that desperate to tell my parents because they are quite homophobic, but my brothers and sisters are a different matter.

I have two older brothers and an older sister, who are all at least 12+ years older than me, they don't live in my house but i don't feel like i could tell them just yet, which is okay for me. It then comes to my twin brother who does live with me, I feel like he should be the first to know if i do tell my family, but i can't, every time I get a sudden rush of confidence, getting ready to just tell him straight off, I can't say it, i mean I'm sure he must have guessed it, my friends have even said they think he knows, but somethings stopping me from coming out to him.

It feels wrong that I've told most of my friends and not my brother, never mind the rest of my family

Why does coming out have to be so hard for me!? :confused:

2. Ashleigh16

Because with a homophobic family you're terrified of the unknown if you're like me. Do you know how he feels about lgbt rights? Does he share your parents views? If you don't know everything in the news talking about it could lead you to bring it up to feel things out with him. If he's supportive just be honest with him. But don't be surprised if it throws him for a bit even if he's 100% supportive. That doesn't mean he doesn't support you. It's just scary for family friends to watch. I didn't realize that until this week walking through it with a friend. If he's not supportive wait. I don't know how old you are but especially if you're at home still do what you have to to survive. If you can wait do. If not go about it when they're in a good mood and try to get them as open as possible. If your not still at home, not sure how old you are go ahead and go for it. Waiting only makes it harder. And let me know if I can help in any way. Feel free to respond here or later post on my wall or message me. Hoping all goes well for you.

3. TylerTheUniGay

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that - I'd truthfully just wait.

4. Soph14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thank you so much Ashleigh, yeah I'm 18 and still living at home with my twin brother and my mum, and yep my parents are quite homophobic but I KNOW by brother is okay with LGBT+ and fully supports his friends who have come out previously, i feel its because I'm so close to him I'm just scared of how he'll react
    Tyler, I'm going to uni next year and I'm considering maybe coming out to them when I've moved out, its probably best