1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That seriously surprised me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cubxu, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Cubxu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Can I start by saying that I haven't really put much thought to coming out yet. I'm not quite sure whether I'll identify myself as bi or gay yet, but something today made it cross my mind.

I was talking to my grandma about the shootings that had happened in the Tunisian hotel where a load of British holidayers lost their lives. My grandma holds the belief that foreigners should be kicked out the country, amongst some other more controversial beliefs.

As we were talking, we started to talk about my university choices. First it was Warwick, which is known for its high acceptance rate for international students, but as we talked about Manchester, I jokingly said "I didn't think you'd like me going to Manchester, because that has a huge LGBT scene, doesn't it?"

But I was pretty shocked when I heard that she didn't really mind gay people, and that she grasped the concept that it wasn't a choice. But I also felt extremely proud of her.

My grandma is a lovely, kind, honest (sometimes a little too honest) woman, but there were a few reasons I didn't think she would be very accepting of the LGBT community. Firstly, my grandad is dead-set against it, and my mum (her daughter) has voiced her concern that she'd be upset if any of her children turned out to be gay.

This has put things into perspective, because I was thinking that when I do come out, whenever that may be, I would first go to my parents. I wasn't sure about even telling my grandparents until today.

I guess my question is how does this situation sound? Should I consider telling my nan first? Let me know what you think

2. m e l v i n

if she is more open-minded than the rest of your family, why not? :slight_smile: ask her first questions about having an lgbt grandchild though.. and do you think she would keep it a secret if you ask her to?

i would tell a cousin, brother, sister or a close friend first, but i'm no coming out expert anyway :lol: good luck (*hug*)