1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you out at work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mapleluv, Jul 1, 2015.

1. mapleluv

I'm having a bit of a personal debate with this at the moment, so I was wondering where other people are at: what you do for work, your out-ness status, & if you think your sexuality is something you should disclose to your employers.

Me: I'm a preschool teacher. I'm totally openly out at my current workplace & it's awesome, a very liberal hippie alternative school, so I never really thought about needing to keep it a secret.

However, I'm soon moving cross-country & took a position at a very conservative Episcopalian school in an equally conservative area (where I grew up). I feel like if the administration/teachers/parents there knew I dated women it would turn out badly for me, & for the school. And I'm very femme, so no one would ever question my sexuality unless I told them. But at the same time, I'm not one to hide who I am... I'm not sure what to do. :confused:

2. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I used to work for an engineering and manufacturing company that got contract work from the government. It was a small firm, and most of the employees were fundamentalist Christians. Needless to say, my closet door was slammed shut, with Gorilla glue on the frame and Loctite on the hinges.

Now, I work as a consultant with a couple of other folks. While I can see no need or benefit to coming out to our customers, I feel fortunate that my coworkers are accepting folks who wouldn't have a problem if they found out that I'm gay. The only holdup is that I don't want to come out unprompted, so I'm basically waiting for them to ask why I don't have a girlfriend yet or something along those lines. :icon_redf

If the school you're looking at is affiliated with the ACNA, I'd be very concerned. If they're affiliated with the Episcopal Church, USA (here I assume you're in the US), then I'd still try to feel them out. TECUSA is generally more accepting / affirming than most other Christian denominations, along with UCC, PCUSA, and a few others whose member churches usually treat LGBT people well. Anyway, I wish you the best!