1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out - but can't.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TylerTheUniGay, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TylerTheUniGay

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everybody! I am gay, and I want to come out SO badly. My friends know, but my parents don't. My mom is a straight ally towards the LGBTQIA+ community, and my dad is semi-homophobic. It's not that I'm nervous of them not accepting me, I'm nervous about afterwards. Them not believing me.

I act like the straightest guy, whenever there is a girl and my dad says "She's cute, eh?" I'll pretend as if she is. It's not a lie, she'd be attractive, I just wouldn't be attracted towards her. And my mom and dad always ask me "Do you have a girlfriend?" "Let's go check-out girls". Etc. I always pretend to flirt with girls, to hide my gayness from myself and my family as-well.

I came out as bisexual last year, but they said "You're not bi, you're just trying to be different, and you always have dated girls." But I didn't necessarily come out... she found out by reading my Skype convo with another person and I, conversing about my sexuality.

I have the urge to type on Facebook "I'm gay". But I'm just really nervous, when I'm not sure why. Any advice? Thanks!

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Give your dad a chance. He sounds adorable, and plus he didn't skin you alive for coming out as bi. Try talking to him in terms of what you're actually thinking about doing.

I would ask him, just theoretically, how he would expect a same-sex companion to behave toward me. I would try to get him to think about "where the rubber hits the road." This man obviously cares about you. He is crazy about you. Give him a chance to actually help you.

Your father is the least of your worries. There are men out there who are dangerous enough that, if you got mixed up with them, you'd end up in a situation of having to pull a gun in order to save your life. Your father actually genuinely has a gigantic love-affair with you. Try to let him figure out a way to express that appropriately.

#2 Christiaan, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015