1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas survival guide

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nitro, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Nitro

See title. We could really use one.

As much as this should be a happy time for all, much seems to be weighing on many of members of this forum. I propose tackling these issues once so that separate threads started may be for the specifics of a given situation. Possible topics include:

- Family get togethers; including subtopics on obnoxious and/or bigoted family members, alcohol, etc.

- Coming out during christmas break? Yes/no, does and don'ts - for older members of the forum this may represent the first time in a long time that they can be face to face with family.

- General sources of anxiety; new romantic relationships and gift giving (?), shopping, bills, etc.

Final note: I would have written up something nice to cover all these topics if I had anything brilliant to say about any of the topics ... but I don't (unless of course, don't throw food or otherwise annoy people welding large knives is new).

2. littledinosaurs

I always wonder about if in a few years i had a bf how i would go about bringing him to family events.

3. Tim

Tim

I always wondered that too, then one of the people I consider a second mom told me that she didn't want me to bring a future BF to family gatherings, if I got one that is. She claims it's because she'd rather not have her kids asking me questions... when they're old enough, they know what being gay is <_< They're going to high school soon for christs sake :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol

4. Bunny

Ugh, that's so stupid. I hate that attitude! If they're not taught about homosexuality when they're young, then they'll end up learning about it from stupid teenagers, and think it's a bad thing. And what if they themselves are gay? Urgh.

5. Greggers

Yea, i really want a bf >_< ...and when i do get my hands on a man i want to flaunt him not hide him. If its a family gathering, i dont see much of a down-side to bringing your +1 though. If they are not ok with it, then why the hell are you going anyways? If they are ok with it, well then you dont have a problem :slight_smile: Granted, i wont be doing this for a few years to come yet i assume.

6. musican

I was thinking about whether or not I would bring my (hypothetical for now) boyfriend as well. I'm not sure how my family would react if I brought a boy with me to out family Christmas party. I would definitely come out to them before bringing my boyfriend with me so that I knew what they thought about me; I wouldn't go to the party if they were against me being gay, and I really wouldn't bring my boyfriend if they were against it.