1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to come out when sober

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crazydog15, Jul 6, 2015.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've told myself that I don't want to regret how I come out. And I've only done it (in real life) once. I've told myself that I will only come out to others when I'm sober. Thing is, I'm having trouble staying that way. I want to come out so bad, but I don't want to "be there" when I do.

I think I need help.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best way not to "be there" when you come out to someone, is to do it in a letter, rather than in person. People do it this way all the time. It also allows you to say exactly what you want, the way you want to say it, think it out ahead of time instead of real time, and get all your points out without interruption. It also gives the person you are coming out to time to process what you have said, think about what it means to them, and cool off before they talk to you if they are the hostile type. Some people like doing it this way; it is up to you how you do it, but generally, drunk is not the best way.