1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to dad.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by larryapplause, Jul 7, 2015.

1. larryapplause

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my friends around a year ago as bisexual. So yesterday i didnt exactly plan on telling my dad but he asked my why ive never had a relationship and i said 'i dont know', he then went on to say 'you're not gay are you haha' so i just stared at him.. then he asked me what i was and i said i like both (which is kinda true, i like gays waaaay more than girls but i still like girls i just couldnt have sex with them, if that makes sense?)

He said that he thinks it's weird and he doesnt understand it.. he seems ok with it because he's acting like nothing happened but i can still tell he's a bit shocked by it.. but now i feel really guilty? I have no idea why because i haven't done anything bad :icon_sad:

Did i do the right thing?

2. FKAdan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you did fine. Most parents expect their kids to be straight. He's just coming to terms that he has been wrong for the past years and such. It sounds like he already had his suspicions. That's why he led up the conversation like that. You shouldn't feel guilty for sharing that with father. You should be proud of yourself for being brave cause it's not easy.

3. larryapplause

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    he's actually asked me a year ago if i was gay but i wasnt ready at all so i said no, everyone in my family thinks i am so i doubt its gonna be a big shock when i tell my sisters/mum etc... thankyou also for the nice words :slight_smile:

4. FKAdan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's very similar to my experience. My mom asked me when I was 13 and I quickly dismissed it and said no! Haha. A year or so later, I was ready and my parents were shocked but they had their suspicions as well so it wasn't like a smack in the face. And even if it is a smack, it's still okay. Good luck on the rest, I'm sure it'll be fine.