1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda Homophobic Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Belle the Bee, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm out to my sister, mother, aunt, uncle and grandma on my moms side of my family. They have all been so supportive and everyday I'm greatful for them.

Now I feel I should come out to my dad's side of the family.
    My parents are divorced, so I live with my mom and see my dad every other weekend. I am not very close to him anymore although we used to have a decent relationship when I was younger. I don't necessarily have to come out (I don't have a girlfriend) but I'm sick of lying to them.
    My dad has said he's indifferent about gays, yet he uses the word faggot every time he sees gay men and seems to look down on any person who's not straight. His brother is gay though and he has a pretty average relationship with him.
    My uncle being gay is the main reason I feel like I would be safe coming-out to them. He came out when he was in his twenty's and my grandparents didn't speak to him for a few months. When they did however, they continued to act as if he were straight. Now he is in his fifty's and his husband of twenty years is referred to as "Johns friend" to this day. My uncles great relationship is denied acknowledgment even though of my 4 uncles he is the only one not divorced.

That being said, are there any tips on coming out?
    They are disapproving but not violent and quite frankly, although I would be a little hurt, I would be OK if they disowned me.

2. YinYang

Search on Google, 'be careful who you hate, it could be someone you love' and print out one of the pictures that show up. Put that piece of paper on your dad's desk the next time you see him, then don't mention you being gay to him. The next time you see him after that, tell him. Bring a copy of the picture so that, if he reacts badly, take out the picture and show him to remind him of it. :thumbsup:
    Just an idea, you don't have to come out like this. :slight_smile: