1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to a family who thinks I'm still innocent?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jessi rose, Jul 7, 2015.

1. jessi rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm almost 17 years old and my family think I'm still an innocent little 10 year old who doesn't know about sex let alone know enough about it to know that I'm gay. I can't watch any movies with sex or nudity around my family even though I'm perfectly capable of handling it. I want to come out but can you imagine how awkward it would be? Like going from "not knowing about sex" to knowing that I'm not interested in sex with a guy.

I'm not sure how to handle this. I'm tired of being treated like a baby and it's ridiculous that this is my biggest concern about coming out. I feel like I'll be told thag I don't know enough about sexuality to know I'm gay. Any advice?

2. YinYang

Obviously, you do know enough about sex to be gay. You're gay. Just tell your family that you're not a little girl anymore and that you are growing up. Tell them that, despite what they might think, you ARE gay, and nothing will change that. You are who you are, and no one in the whole world can change that. (*hug*)

3. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's kind of awkward but don't worry too much about it. If they were homophobic it could be worse, but since that's not your biggest concern I assume they're not?
    If you feel ready to come out just do it. Even if they think that at first, they'll eventually come to the realization that you are in fact gay and get used to it.
    Good luck :grin:

4. proud2bme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you saying that your uncomfortable with straight sex and because of that your family is seeing you as little and uneducated. I was like this, and I have been out of the closet for ten plus yrs when I came out I had zero experience but knew I was gay because I had zero attraction to men. My moms first question was how do you know your gay my first question and immediate response to my mother was mom how do you know your straight that ended the conversation in its tracks because she had no answer for that other then I just do you know your gay because you just do too
    So if that question comes up when you come out turn the question back on them… years later my mom told me she appreciated me for throwing it back at her as it made her think she goes to more pride events then I do
    happy to help if you want to talk