1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to start being totally out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nick1020, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Nick1020

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I am ready to start living my life totally out. The only problem is how to tell my parents. My mom would most likely have no issue with it however, my dad once said, "Being gay is not a choice in the same way cancer is not a choice. God didn't intend for cancer in the same way he didn't intend for people to be gay." Of course I completely disagree with him. Being gay is not a bad thing, and it's not a 'cancer'. Given this is my largest obstacle before I begin living openly I'm not sure if I should tell my family first, or let them find out later. Perhaps I can talk to my sister and figure out a way to tell my parents. I'm not sure my dad is fully educated on gender identity and sexual orientation.

2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think you should tell your sister and your mom first since they seem to be more accepting.

3. 50ishandout

Tell Ma and Sis then get there option on how to handle Dad. Good Luck.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Dad, I don't know what God intended about cancer, but I know he intended me to be gay, because that is what he made me to be. If I had the choice to make, I would have chosen to be straight, but I didn't, so I have to accept who he made me to be, and live with the consequences as best I can."