1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay/Straight alliance!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by george678, Dec 16, 2008.

1. george678

What are they?
    And If I was to start one at my school how would I go round doing it etc.
    Thanks in advance
    George

#1 george678, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Miles D

3. Greggers

My school was Christian, so we didnt have one, but my new College has a "Pride Network".

As far as i can gather its a club of LGBT people and supporters that bring awareness to the subject and help stop bullying and harassment over sexual orientation. Im guessing you would need to be in a public school at have permission from some of the school staff, as well as a teacher/staff member on board on the GSA to lead and help out.

Its definitely something that would have helped me if i went to a public school. Good idea! :slight_smile:

4. James2612

We didn't have any of this at my school... They might have at collage but i never saw it advertised....... not that i would have gone as i was in the closet!!!!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Gay/Straight alliances are GLBT groups, and/or advocacy groups at schools or colleges and universities. Usually they provide a safe space where members of the GLBT community and their supporters can hang out, meet new people and have a place to chat. Often they also organize social events such as coffee houses, dances, movie screenings, have regular meetings, etc. Some groups also invite outside speakers.

Think about what is what you would like to get out of a Gay/Straight alliance. What do you want it to do?

Given that you would be organizing it at your school, it would be good if you would find a teacher that would support you in that. Also, try to find out what your school's requirements are for establishing a club. What you could also do, if your school has a counseling department, try to talk with a counselor. It could be advantageous to have a counselor on board as well.

Good luck with it. I hope it goes well. Let us know how it turns out.

I hope this helps a bit.

6. Sarah

ur brave to b starting a GSA at ur school, ur 13? freshmen right? me too.

my school has one. but i dont kno how it started. it was made b4 i came. but i know that u hav to get it apporved by the principal nd stuff. it helps to hav a lot of teachers backing you. nd show how good it would b for the other students. lol. im sure u probably kno this.

theres a whole network for GSAs in my county. and i think that school counselors know what it is. or are supposed to. so just talk to one of them about wanting to start one at ur school. announce it when u guys hav announcements. or hand out fliers. ask a teacher if you can use their room. ect. just do what u know u need to do and fine out what else needs to b done! lol.

and what u usually do in there is help people come out or support them and let them kno that its great and ok to b who they are and that people except them. and we also discuss problems and such lik we talkd about the prop 8 here in California. and how they made it illegal to marry the same sex. and we just support each other and pretty much hang out. lol
    last week they decided to go see the movie about the gay major of one of the cities. in california. so everyone just really hangs out and helps everyone out

7. george678

Well thanks guys to answer some questions:
    1) I have plans on starting one because there is not one.
    2) I am not that nervous (on the day I will be!)
    3) I have a teacher that will help me start it
    4) I think the headteacher will be fine.
    So Thanks guys.

8. Nixon

do go to a private parochial school

they probably won't allow it

9. george678

I know I feel sorry for you.
    I am in a public school.

10. george678