1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out to my 11 year old sister.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by YinYang, Jul 10, 2015.

1. YinYang

I've already come out to both of my parents and I want to come out to my sister, but she's still 11. Anyone know up to what age should my sister be when I tell her? I think she deserves to know, but she's a little young to be told. I don't know what age would be good. :help:

2. Foz

Foz Guest

She's at the age already where many kids know if they themselves are gay, people that age are a lot smarter than what they get credit for.

3. YinYang

The thing is, everyone else I have asked this question to say she is still too young and that I should wait a couple more years... Her birthday is this October, would around that time be a good time to tell her? I DO think she is a little young and naive (she only knows of two gay men, whom of which are married and live 12 hours away), but not that much :bang: I don't know who to listen to!

4. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had the same problem with my brothers few years back. My parents knew I was gay and my girlfriend came over to visit too, but my brothers thought she was just a friend. At that point my brothers were too young (9&11) to be told.

Soon after that I started to talk about how diverse people are and how it doesn't matter who people love. That's when they also started to understand these kind of things more. So I'd recommend you could start talking about different types of people (you know somehow adjust that into a conversation, not just out of nowhere) and introduce your sister to the idea (and also explain that gays exist and it is completely alright) and then a bit later on come out to her.

5. YinYang

The thing is, my sister and I aren't that close. We recently went through a lot of drama and are still trying to get back on our feet. We really don't talk that much. I don't know how to start a conversation with her, let alone work the subject of diversity of people into it.

6. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe like if you watch the news and there is someting about the LGBTQ community, or read a book that has gay character, or something?

7. YinYang

She isn't a reader, so she probably wouldn't care about a book I read, gay character or not. I also don't watch the news often, so... Yeah. That's out. She'd wonder when I got so interested in the LGBT community.

8. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Or then a film? Frozen is quite good and should offer a way to open discussion? :slight_smile:

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't think 11 is too young. It's near puberty age where people start developing their own sexuality. And now, same sex marriage is legal in every state so it doesn't do good to hide it since many children will be born to such couples at a young age.

I would just ease in slowly though if this is new territory.

10. YinYang

I guess so. The problem is, I've tried this once before. My sister doesn't really like to listen to me talk. We were playing cards, and this was right after the two gay men she knows got married. I said, "Isn't it good that so-and-so and so-and-so got married?" She said "Yeah" and I said, "What do you think about them getting married?" and waited for a response, but she was concentrating on the game and didn't even appear to hear me.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2015 at 07:01 PM ----------

I just don't know what to do!

11. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are way overthinking this. She needs to know so she can be prepared when she hears it from other kids. It doesn't need to be all that conversational. Just say, "Sally, you know how boys sometimes like girls and they go on dates and like to spend time together? Well, I like to do those same things too but with other boys. So if you hear people talking about me and saying that I'm gay, that's what they mean."