1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I use facebook to come out as trans to extended family and acquaintances?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kodo, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something I've considered doing, but don't know if I should (advice time!). See, I've been off Facebook for about 3 years now. During my period of isolation and depression, I distanced myself from socializing and went off Facebook. Well since I'm soon going to be coming out as trans and finally living out in the open like I should be, I was thinking of going back on. Plus if I did that and also told everyone I was "friends" with then it would make my public coming out a lot more effective.

But I don't know... Should I use facebook to come out to all my acquaintances and extended family? This would be after (probably between 1-4 weeks) I came out to my parents and siblings.

One con is that it would - ehem - "dirty" our family name. Which I'm sure my parents wouldn't appreciate. Though really, if other families are going to dis my parents or siblings because they have a trans son/brother, then they aren't real friends anyways. It's not like my identity affects them personally.

Any advice is appreciated.
    -Peter-

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would wait to see how it goes with your parents Peter. It's going to take them some time to adjust to the idea and (hopefully) come to terms with your news and you don't want to do anything that will jeopardise progress. In fairness, it may be a lot more than 1-4 weeks. If you come out to everyone else on Facebook before they have had time to deal with their own feelings it could be counter-productive.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but don't be too quick to do it. Coming out to your parents/siblings is the priority and you can't predict how it will go or how long it will take.

3. CraikNakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's real smart of you to come out to your family first, that would be my real concern with coming out on social media because I feel it's important to come out to your family in person. And I agree it's a great idea to wait a bit before coming out on Facebook. Honestly after all that it's up to you, will you be comfortable with all the people you're friends with on Facebook knowing? If you are, then I say go for it! And if there's like one or two people who you'd rather not know about it then im pretty sure you can set who you allow to see the post.
    As for "dirtying" your family name I think that's ridiculous! While it's true and unfortunate that some people think like that about other peoples families, it just isn't right! You make the family even greater and I would be so proud to have you in my family. If people react really negatively to your post it gives you the opportunity to do some weeding out of any ignorant meanies in your friend list. If they can't accept you for how beautiful you are then they don't deserve to be your friend. Good luck! I hope it all goes well!:thumbsup:

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thank you, this got me to thinking. I believe it would be best for me to wait to come out publicly. If I told my parents and siblings (at least the older siblings) soon, as I intend, I can manage to wait until I'm 18 to come out publicly.

That will give them time to adjust, and me to prepare. And I did/will warn them in my letter that I'm completely coming out after I'm a legal adult, after which point I'll be presenting full-time as male and doing everything I can to transition.

There's no need for me to rush it, I realize. As long as my closest family knows, then that's a big step already.