1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Time Lord10, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Time Lord10

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't posted anything here for a long time, sorry.

I think it was in January or February this year when I came out for the first time. I told my mother. I was too nervous to tell my father right then, but my mom told him about a month after that.

I had a mix of relive and anxiety when I told my mom. The secret I had kept for 2+ years had been released. My mom has given her full support since then. She even wanted to go to a pride parade earlier last month.

I'm still nervous about telling others. My mom told one of my sisters, who then told my other sister without me knowing. Two weeks ago I told my mom I wanted more people to know so she called my older sister to tell her (she already knew.) She told my mom to call when she had better news.

I have been hinting to my best friend that I am gay. I actually told her one day but she took it as a joke. I really want other people to know, but I am too scared to see their reactions.

Any advice for how to come out to my friends?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, and it's really great your mom is so supportive!

Try telling your friend again, maybe also via email or a message. Or, you could tell other friends (you probably know which ones are "good at spreading information" lol). For me, I started coming out to any LGBT friends or straight people I had known were outspoken allies. Also, try coming out on Facebook, which I know has worked for some friends I haven't seen in years.

3. internetperson

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's awesome! I'm happy for you! I love how supportive your mom is.

First things first, when you come out to your friends and they don't accept you, move on. You deserve better. If you don't feel like doing it face to face, you can always use this song called "The Coming Out Song" on YouTube and send it to them. If you're with them somewhere, I think you should just tell them you have something really important to talk about and tell them. Ask them if they have any questions and clarify that you guys will still be friends.

I hoped that helped a little bit. Good luck! :slight_smile: