1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait or tell them over private message?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hawk, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to tell my parents I'm trans but they're out of the country right now, and won't be back for another weeks and a half. I don't know if I should wait until they come back to tell them and do it in person, or tell them over Facebook private message. It's been killing me lately that I'm not out yet, and I kind of want at least one person to know. I'm 95.9999% sure they'll support me but I'm still really nervous about telling them.

2. awerosie

I think it's generally better to discuss things like this in person rather than dumping them on people by sending them a text, email or leaving a voice message. If for some reason the thought of doing that is frightening to you or you worry you might lose your nerve you can always tell them with another person present, ideally some other adult you feel would be more understanding whom you can trust whom you have reason to believe might take the news better like an older sibling, grandparent, minister, school counselor or a therapist. Good luck.

3. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I would wait. They are on vacation, however they react to the news, good or bad, they shouldn't be distracted from their vacation. I know you're anxious but just hang on and give it a little more time. I would think it would be best if they were home to hear the news anyway. Good luck my friend!