1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting really anxious about coming out to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by juno14, Jul 12, 2015.

1. juno14

I don't really have a question here, it's just going to end up being a long rant, so I guess if you have any advice I'd appreciate it or if you can relate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: thanks! :slight_smile:
    Firstly, for some reason my parents seem to think all gay people know they're gay from when they're kids. They once asked my 10 year old brother if he thinks he likes girls or guys and he said he didn't know, and they both thought this was really weird. I've said in the past that I think I'm straight, since most people assume that at first, and I've also shown some interest in guys, since I liked the attention I got from them etc. So I'm incredibly worried my parents won't believe me. I'm 15 and I think they'd think it was just a phase, especially since I've had lots of phases in the past.
    Secondly, my family is a bit complicated since my dad has some emotional problems (he's not aggressive or anything, he just has intense mood swings). Once before I started reading a book about a gay person in public and my mum said to put it away, cos it would make my dad stressed. Here, I think the issue it less my dad's disorder and more the way my mum doesn't want me and my brother to make things worse for him.
    I feel the combination of my parents thinking it's a phase and the fact it could make my dad really stressed means my mum particularly could be quite angry at my coming out. I'm probably just unnecessarily stressing here but I can't stop worrying about it. As I said I don't have a specific question, but does anyone have advice?

2. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that your parents may take some time to a adjust to it, and your parents love you. Parents want to make their kids happy, and I'm sure they'll come round to the idea of you being not Straight. Maybe just give them time? Coz you said you dont want to add to the issues in your family but being gay is not an issue at all :slight_smile:

3. juno14

Thanks that really helps, especially the last line :slight_smile:

4. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay!! So how are you feeling about coming out now?

5. juno14

Um haha idk maybe not quite ready, et tu? :icon_wink

6. KJA

KJA

You might try by sounding them out on LGBT issues, kinda warming them up, then asking like how would they feel if your brother turned out to be gay. That way they can start to process this internally and come to some internal conclusions. This is kind of a warm up exercise before you are ready so it wouldn't be such a shock.

It helps if your parents aren't clueless. It worked on my daughter, she was ready for me to tell her about myself. Whereas my wife was in her own zone the entire time. I thought she was ready... But that's my own issue ;-)

7. juno14

That's really good advice, thank you! Well, I'm glad some of it worked well for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: thanks! :slight_smile: