1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaching out to Gay Facebook Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Caddyats13, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Caddyats13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So one of my biggest issues is I am not in the gay community and truly do not know where to begin to join it. Since I came out to myself at the end of undergrad i feel like I missed out on making gay friends. There are a few gay acquaintances from undergrad who I am Facebook friends with. I so desperately want to reach out to them for advice or to make a friend to hang out socially but can't seem to do it. Would it be weird to you EC if an acquaintance reached out to you on Facebook for advice and/or do you have any advice on how to do this?

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I'd be surprised if someone asked but I'd give advice freely. Though I know for a fact that if I tried to reach out to any of my gay acquaintances on fb, they wouldn't give advice at all - these people don't seem to have struggled with their sexuality at all and I know they don't like to talk about it.
    Ultimately, it depends on who the person is.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling. I have a Facebook friend from high school (who, incidentally, I met through my family's church and is a family friend) who posts a lot about marriage equality and a couple times about not being straight. I always want to message him but I feel like it would be awkward since I haven't talked to him in a few years.

Personally, I think I would be a little confused but I wouldn't mind.

4. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If someone I didn't know super well asked me out of the blue, I'd be surprised, but I'd understand. I'd do my best to help. We've all been there. It was hard enough for me to accept myself, and I had tons of LGBT+ friends. I may have never accepted myself if I didn't have them.

I'd say go for it. You could just start by saying something like, "We don't know each other very well, but I've realised I'm gay, and I have no one to talk to....."