1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RavenPrincess, Jul 14, 2015.

1. RavenPrincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, here's the gist. Homophobic grandmother, rest of the family don't bother standing up to her about it apart from me and my mum (who knows I'm bi and is supportive). I'm so tired of being in the closet. I'm tired of having to hear about how lesbians are disgusting but Fifty Shades of Grey is normal (in her defence, I don't think she's read it). So I want out (lame pun intended). Her knowing I'm bi will mean either she'll stop being so homophobic or I'll get disowned and not have to put up with it anymore. I'm thinking I'll just come out and say it while we're at my aunt's summer party on Saturday but is this the best idea?

2. carbonbox

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey RavenPrincess, before you stress to much about it think about how your parents support you. I would love that my parents would be supportive about my sexual orientation but on some people its a harsh situation. But if you feel like coming out officially to everyone make sure you know what your getting yourself into. There will be haters but forget about them, do what you desire to do. and to answer your question, yes you should it looks like it would be a good time to do so.

3. NinjaInTraining

If you feel comfortable coming out, do it. You already have your mother who supports you which is amazing! The fact that you have someone so close to you that is so accepting can be incredibly helpful, even if all they do is stand by your side.
    Something I notice that you said is that no one in your family stands up to your homophobic grandmother, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they share her views. Having someone within the family be openly bi could help give some of them a push to standing up to homophobia. It could also help to change some of their views; many homophobic people don't have close family members or friends who are openly gay or bi and that can really affect their opinions.
    Overall, if you want to come out, come out. I really hope that everything goes well for you and you can have a positive influence on those around you! xxx

4. RavenPrincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    that is a good point, you hear stories about people who were homophobic until someone they knew came out and they realised "well Chuck's not bad". I just always expect the worst, I guess.

5. 50ishandout

Great point Princess. Times are different today. People are so much more aware and understanding. I've been waiting for the negitive homophob, thankfully i haven't encountered it yet. The line i get is "you never acted gay". If it's a situation i can get away with it i usually say if i had a penis hanging out of my mouth would that be acting gay for you.

Seriously, .People will love you for you. The days of widespread homophobia are long gone. Are there still small battles to deal with? Yes, however most people get it.

As a dear friend said "you picked the right time to Come Out, People get it".