1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering coming out on Facebook?????

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Plant7120, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Plant7120

Has anyone cone out as Trans on Facebook??? What was your experience with this?

I post many pictures on Facebook of myself and my daughter for family and friends. Sooner or later they will notice changes when I am on Testosterone.

I also have alot of family on Facebook, too many to directly contact, or their not close enough to really worry about how they feel, personally.

So I am considering changing my name, ect...... I have so many gardening friends via Facebook I would like to have them identify me as who I am.... Would rather get it out of the way so I can move on with my life as Trans-male :slight_smile:

Whats the thoughts on this or am I moving to quick?? My mom says not yet she is worried about backlash, but she is still in denial, regarding my Trans status. This may back it up a bit and I'll know who my real friends,family are.

2. starm

If you feel uncomfortable, probably should not. I would however in your situation.

3. Cedar

It would really depend on the situation. I think it would be best to come out in private messages to people you can't otherwise talk to in person, though again, that really depends on their relationship to you. I get that it's hard to come out to people in person and maybe you can explain that to people as you're talking to them over facebook. I came out to my mum over facebook while she was away on a trip and honestly, talking to her on facebook was A LOT easier than in person. I probably would have been a jumbled mess due to nerves but over facebook, I could edit, write what I truly felt and think about it before posting(the same goes for if you want to write a letter and use email instead). What I was planning on doing was talking to some people over facebook privately before making a public announcement to the rest but only private messages with close friends or family members. I just think it would be better if close friends could privately talk to you if they are uncomfortable with you being transgender and could cut ties there instead of making a public scene and being all dramatic about it. Another thing to think about. Though you're probably going to have at least someone make a scene regardless...

I think you should talk to these people when you're ready for it, I know you might be eager to move things along at a faster rate but sometimes it's better to take babysteps. Some of the people may be more accepting than others, perhaps come out to your friends that you know that are supportive of LGBT people first before handling the ones that might be more difficult? Your mother is right that there will be backlash, but there might be even more if you only come out when you started T and people notice the difference(especially if you get a beard). However, changes take place differently in people when they start HRT, some people might not notice a difference until they've had a few shots or whatever. Just remember, we're here for you should you need us.

4. Plant7120

Its not that I am afraid to come out to family, I came out to the closest relatives already IE Mother, brother, Aunt. Its just the rest of my family are so spread through the US I'm not going to be able to face to face come out to everyone :slight_smile:

5. guitar

It's probably best to wait because facebook is public. It doesn't matter how much you clamp down on your profile, it's still public. I would begin by dropping hints. Maybe change your profile pic to the pride generator. Leave hints of being pro-LGBT in your quotes about you, etc. That way it won't seem like such a bombshell for everyone. Maybe post a few articles about Ciatlynn Jenner and write an ambiguous commentary on the article in your status update.

6. Plant7120

I decided last night to change my name on facebook, and come out! So far I've had nothing but positive commentary and support from friends. So decided to IM me to see if it was really me, and my account hadn't been hacked,lol. So far so good though. I knew I would confuse people if I just did a name change, so I decided to reintroduce myself (my name) and give people the freedom to stay or go.