1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving my parents without warning, and whether or not I should come out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by syzygy, Jul 16, 2015.

1. syzygy

So a really wonderful friend of mine is going to help me move to San Diego sometime, hopefully this year.

I can't tell my parents ahead of time, or even halfway out the door. I lack self-confidence and it takes little or no effort to pressure me into doing things, especially if you're my parents. I'm going to have to leave a note.

There are lots of reasons to leave. My mother borders on emotionally abusive, and I suspect she may be becoming an alcoholic. I'd hate to leave and worsen that, but I don't have any sort of say in our family, I wouldn't be able to help her if I stayed.

The main reason though, is that I'm never going to be able to function like a normal person until I deal with my depression, and I'm not sure I can without transitioning and dealing with dysphoria first.

So anyways, this letter I'm leaving. I have to make it clear that I need to get away from them, but I don't want to seem accusatory either. I'd like them to accept my decision. The big question is though, do I come out? It's the primary reason I'm leaving, and they'd never accept me transitioning while I stay with them.

I don't know if coming out would help them understand my decision, even if they don't approve, or if it might result in them cutting me off entirely. Has anyone written a similar letter? If so, do you have any suggestions? I want to damage my relations with them as little as possible, and I have no idea how.

2. 50ishandout

Sounds ad if they have there own issues. Your leaving is going to add more stress fir them even if you intended not to. I would say that if you are leaving and plan on leaving a letter you should put everything in it. Let them know and maybe someday you'll be able to talk with them about your situation.

As dysfunction as they are, there still your parents and they are going to be concerned about you wether they admit it or not.