1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i wait for my grandparents to die before coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ant12, Jul 16, 2015.

1. ant12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    this may sound mean and weird but...

coming out would literally destroy them. My grandpa is a racist homophobic bigot who thinks gays are pedophiles. They're religious and outspoken with their opposition to it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if my grandpa would either kill himself or disown me completely. I'm honestly the favorite grandkid and them finding this out would just make them so depressed, my grandpa still bitches about interracial marriage.

My grandpa isn't nearly as bad but doesn't support it.

It's kind of sad to think my grandparents may never know the real me but at the same time i need to do what is best, if i come out they would disown me and leave me no $ when they pass, and im still only 18 so I'm pretty dependent on my family through college and i don't want to make my family relationships any more complicated

2. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hhhmmm that is tricky. On one hand, it would be best for them to know, but on the other hand, ignorance is bliss. Whichever feels right and is best for you.

3. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a similar situation but my grandmother is currently dying of stage IV pancreatic cancer and other illnesses so I guess she won't ever know... Do whatever you think is best. You can still come out and never tell your grandparents, just if you do tell your parents make it clear that you don't want them to rat you out.