1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to come out to someone over text?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by syds, Jul 17, 2015.

1. syds

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really wanted to come out to my friend today but I really just could not get the words out. I just sat there feeling like I was gonna throw up because I was so nervous. I know that she won't react badly but I know that it will be an uncomfortable conversation to have. Is it bad to text someone to come out to them?

2. jonathon157

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did that with all of my friends I've come out to so far . It's a bit awkward when you see them in person after, but after a few days everything will be normal if you guys are good friends.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel that texting is the best way for you to come out to your friend, then I'd say go for it. As the poster above me mentioned, it can feel a little awkward when you see your friend later during the day, or the next day, but it will fade. Maybe still try speaking with your friend afterwards as well, which might help with overcoming the (potential) awkwardness too. :slight_smile:

4. go for it. nothing wrong with it. if you think she is safe and wont' forward the text. go for it.

5. syds

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you everyone. I think that's what I'll do. :icon_wink