1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Christian Parents at 14

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jonathon157, Jul 17, 2015.

1. jonathon157

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, so I've been pretty sure of my sexuality for a little while now, going as far as to tell a few people and talk about guys openly. This being said, my family is more on the conservative side, seeing as we are all Christian and go to church pretty regularly. I know that being gay isn't actually a sin as the new, homophobic version of the Bible says, seeing as King James 1 was gay and a devout Christian who developed the first King James edition of the Bible. Anyway, I would really like to come out to my parents and sister because their love and support means everything to me. But, my mom has voiced before that she doesn't support marriage equality, but has a gay brother who's married that we actually talk to normally. My dad is more on the liberal side saying that he doesn't mind as long as people have gay relationships behind closed doors. My sister and I both fully support marriage equality. So, idk how it could or would go. This being said, I'm thinking that maybe I should wait until I'm older and self-sufficient to tell them because there is a slight chance of them disowning me, but I have faith and God has told me that my being gay isn't something to worry about, so it's all very confusing. Any thoughts and past experiences would be super helpful as I really have no experience and my uncle (moms brother) didn't come out until he was 30 and even now I don't talk to him very often.

2. castheking

I'm in a similar situation, although I've already come out partially (and as you can see on the left here, my orientation and gender identity is a bit of a mess to people who aren't educated on it, so that was an adventure). My mom knows about my pansexuality and that my gender is "flexible," while my dad is just vaguely aware that I "might like girls". It has been interesting, to say the least.

I think it's really good that you've come to terms with religion and your orientation, I know a lot of people struggle with that. Personally, I went through a really rough time before I realized that organized religion just wasn't for me. I know I believe in God, but in my own way, you know? But that's your decision all the way, no one else can define your relationship with God.

I came out to my mother as "probably not straight" last year, and it was just word vomit. I didn't plan it. And I've regretted it ever since, because now we always have these long, hostile discussions that always end in tears. I can tell that my mom despises the fact that I'm this way, and I honestly can't wait to move out at this point.

I suppose my best advice would be this: If you're mostly sure that it's not going to go well, don't come out yet. It may hurt to hide yourself, I totally get that. But if you have a solid group of good friends who you can be yourself around, it's much easier.

3. dm3r

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My family is also Christian. As my sister is the most liberal person in our family, I told her. She took it fine. You should tell the person you trust most and think of the person that is most likely go accept you. In your case, this could be your dad, or someone else in your family who is open-minded, maybe a sibling or someone else.
    If you've told that person, and asuuming their reaction is good, you've got someone who you can fall back on if other family members don't accept you.
    I wish you best luck for coming out. You'll feel better afterwards.