1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans at work (MtF)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eofox, Jul 19, 2015.

1. eofox

Hey everyone so I'm a 20 yo trans-girl. I'm out pretty much everywhere, FB, friends, family, etc... Everywhere, that is, except work. I believe they can't legally fire me for being Trans (Utah) but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway around 80-95% of the people working there are Mormon. Which means it's either hit or... miss. I basically change every night after work and stay in girl mode all weekend. Its a no-right to work company so I can technically be fired for almost anything.

I've been on hormones for a little over 2 months, and can pass, at least as androgynous. I recently got a raise but still live pay check to pay check. Meaning if I do get fired I'll be in a lot of trouble really quickly.

I work as a Web developer for a fairly small company, but given maybe a month they could probably find someone with more experience to replace me. That leads me to my question:

How should I approach this? Should I wait, if so how long? Thoughts about money? Etc...

The plan i have been able to come up with so far is basically giving hr a letter (high anxiety situation, probably won't be able to talk very well.) Any advice would be appreciated, I'm pretty lost. Thanks! :icon_conf

~ Zoe ~

2. BluhImCourtney

Well, I am *cough cough* uh... mormo-- *intense coughing*

... well that was weird.

What I meant to say was that I was baptized in a Mormon church. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I myself am agnostic but I don't want to delve into religious debate right now. Or ever. XD

Anyways, my mom is mormon, so I was baptized. This was before I came out as trans and not straight anyway (pan).

After I had come out to my parents, my mom tried to get in contact with people who went to the church to see what their views on transgender people were.

When she came back to me about it, she said that it all depends on the bishop or head priest or whatever. Some may say it's alright, some might not.

So I think the best thing you can do is... well, firstly, do you have any friends who go to the same mormon church as the other workers/boss? If so, ask them to ask the bishop their about their views. Of they respond positively, go for it. If the workers try to give you sh*t about it, tell them to bring it up with the bishop.

But, if they say it isn't okay... then... I dunno. ._.

Sorry.(*hug*)

3. eofox

I mean in that case I'm also "technically" mormon. And to my knowledge the official standing is that they are to be accepted to meetings etc... but are not to enter the temple or be baptized post-transition. That being said bishops are sometimes accepting and sometimes not.

All of that being said I don't have any friends attending in the same meeting as any of upper management.

4. BluhImCourtney

That makes me sick to my stomach (again) and ashamed to be baptized Mormon. ._.

That right there is clearly discrimination. Marriage equality is one thing, but when you deny someone the right to be in a house of worship that they wish to be a part of...

That's just disgusting.

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2015 at 11:13 PM ----------

It's like saying you're unclean if you happen to diverge from their views even a little, even if it doesn't hurt anyone.