1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the rite way to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Allweretaken, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Allweretaken

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay well I have told two friends...one long distance(she moved awhile ago)...and another long distance friend...i just knew I could trust them until I fully come out. The thing is, is there a rite way to come out? Can I just blurt it out? And my girlfriend keeps asking to meet my mother so I think just bringing her home might be a bit to much. Would it be fine to just give my mother a letter while I'm gone for awhile and if she gets mad it will give her time to cool off? What kind of ways could I tell my mother and my sisters and just everybody in my family? Is there a way to tell my friends in a way that wont make them freak out since they are like very serious Christians? I think I should get their opinions on gslbt people before I come out to them...but if I know they won't accept should I still tell them even though I know it means loosing my best friends that I've had for years?

Any advice is really welcome...even if its something I don't want to hear...

2. i do not think you should bring the girlfriend home and come out at same time. that's not fair to them. they have to used to the idea of you even being gay before accepting someone else.

if your friends dump you because you are gay, they were never your friends to begin with.

for your family, i think you should tell them when you are ready and not because someone is pressuring you to meet them. if you are ready to tell them, then tell them in a way that works best for you. it could be a phone call or a letter or in person. sometimes letters are scary for parents because they may think its a suicide note. so i would suggest a phone call or in person.

there is no right or wrong way to tell someone. but the best way to tell someone is when you feel confident enough about who you are. you are not telling them you are dying of a disease and have 1 day to live. you are telling them that you're gay and that instead of liking guys you like girls. i think once you feel absolutely good about it then start telling them. if you feel bad about it and hate yourself, telling them is not really going to help.

so judge how you feel about yourself and if you feel positive then go for it. that way, no matter what they think you'll not have extra self hate. if you already hate yourself and you know you are an emotional wreck and you're barely hanging on by a thread, then maybe hold off on telling them UNLESS you feel like you need to have friends and family to support you during this rough time. if you do, definitely do not keep it bottled in. but if you are relatively ok but just still need sometime to be sure about yourself, there's no harm in waiting. again, if you are suicidal and need emotional support, please reach out to someone.

good luck.

3. Allweretaken

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay thanks...and yeah bringing my girlfriend rite away might be a bit to much.Thank you so much.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think bringing your gf over and come out at the same time might be too much at once for them to accept. As for the right way to come out, there is none. Just do what you're comfortable with. :slight_smile:

Maybe have a one on one talk with your mom? Whichever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck!

5. Allweretaken

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you and I think I'm gonna wait a bit longer on telling my mother