1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Dont think I want to tell people I'm gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aussielefty, Jul 21, 2015.

1. aussielefty

I have slowely started to tell a few friends that I'm gay, had a funny one today that I'm not sure if it went well or not.. guess time will tell..

I just don't know if I want to tell any one I'm gay ,unless they ask or the subject comes up, but to just tell them right of the bat so to speak ,not sure any more...

:confused:

2. j13

j13 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i am only out to one very close friend who I met recently. Over the past months I have been struggling to decide whther or not I should come out to my family and other friends (who I have known for a while).

The decision has been on my mind constantly. I think people have started to notice my change in behaviour. Thankfully, they are putting it down to work related stress. Anyway, the best advice my friend gave me.
    1. talk with someone you trust. Don't keep your feelings bottled up. Even write them down if you need to.
    2. take your time and stop over-thinking. you don't have to come out to anyone you don't want to. just keep being the good person that you are.

I know it is easy for me to say, but please know that I am going through something similar at the moment (I can only assume from reading this post).

3. randomconnorcon

Coming out feels like an obligation because of the world we live in, but it's not. Nobody needs to know you're gay if you don't want to tell, just like nobody needs to know that a person is straight. If someone asks or sexuality comes up in conversation and you want to tell them about yourself, go ahead. That's what I do. But if you don't, then don't. Your sexuality doesn't have to feel like some deep, dark secret. As long as you are at a point where you are at peace with yourself, there's no reason to tell if you don't want to. The only time I think telling someone should happen is if you are struggling and it's really affecting your life, then find someone you trust or a place like this.

I hope this helps.

4. aussielefty

that's what it feels like for me for some reason

5. 50ishandout

I think because we kept our sexuality secret for so long, now that we are comfortable with ourselves we want to let everyone know. At the same time we still have that fragile feeling is it the right thing to tell this person.

What I do know is that it is better to be out even to one person so that you can enjoy your life.

6. KJA

KJA

Personally, I had to come out, after living a lie for so damn long. It's whatever you feel comfortable with, obviously.

7. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is personal!
    Only come out to those that you want to and only when you want to.
    The entire world doesn't need to know everything about you, it's a matter of keeping your private life private and saying what matters to those that matter.
    I've always been of the opinion that a persons orientation / gender is completely irrelevant unless I think they are HOT and I'm in with a chance.

8. Cedar

No one should force you to come out or make you feel like you have to come out, that's only up to you. If you don't feel comfortable with coming out or don't want to come out to someone in particular, you don't need to explain yourself to them if you feel it's none of their business.

9. aussielefty

thanks guys..