1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm scared of coming out. Is being gay a sin?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shinystarainbow, Jul 25, 2015.

1. shinystarainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guys I'm sort of frustrated right now. Cause I read in the bible that God didn't make anyone homosexual and that isn't a choice. I mean how can it be a choice? I'm not responsible of getting wet whenever I think of girls. I'm not responsible to want to kiss a girl. I'm not responsible either of not liking penises and feeling grossed about it. Can someone talk to me?:help: And I'm a bit scared of coming out.... Like, I want to tell to my best friend but I highly doubt that she's gay too and if she finds out then maybe she'll fall in love with me and our friendship will be ruined and then she will want to date me and I don't want that!!!!!!

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi shinystarainbow,

I don't have enough knowledge about the Bible, but read this: Empty Closets - Religion and Homosexuality

Remember that we have lots of LGBT people that are religious.

About the choice thing, personally, i highly doubt that orientation is a choice. You are attracted to whoever you are attracted, and that's it. Peraphs it is genetic? Or defined chemically? We don't have a definitive answer yet, but it is highly unlikely that it is a choice.

If she isn't gay, then she will not fall in love with you, obviously. But, if she is gay, then you can accept/reject her politely, depending on what you would like.

My advice here is: Relax and take everything step by step. Do not worry about "what if she is gay?", "what if she falls in love with me?", "what if...", because these things aren't certain, and you may be worrying too much about things that aren't even going to happen. Take everything slowly.

Hugs (*hug*)

3. shinystarainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much @Chiroptera ! Really means to me :hugs:

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really happy to help :slight_smile:

Also, i just noticed your question on the thread title. No, being gay isn't a sin. There is nothing wrong in loving someone, as you aren't hurting anyone with it.

I really recommend the reading of the link i mentioned, in case you haven't done it yet.

(*hug*) Hugs

5. ToneDef

ToneDef Guest

I don't believe in God but I do believe that if he was real, he would love everyone he created. Something interested I've seen people say is that God would make people the way they are so that they can understand and stand up for the people that struggle with these same issues. I don't have a whole lot to forth since we don't share the same beliefs but perhaps you'll find something in that to help.

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Being gay isn't a sin, we are who we are. :slight_smile:

7. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just think of it this way. If you believe god created everyone how they liked but didn't like homosexuality... then how do you exist?

In other words. No. being gay is not a sin and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You can still be religious and gay. It's perfectly normal.

Now obligatory hug time!
    ∧_∧_∧
    (*・ω・)ω<*)
    /⌒ づ⊂⌒ヽ

8. Nick1020

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being gay is predominantly the result of nature, not nurture. That being said, being gay cannot be considered a sin. Sin is when one makes a conscious and deliberate choice that is against God's will. Therefor, sin only exists as a result of God's gift of free will. Because being gay is not a choice, it is not a sin. Furthermore, I believe that God blesses and welcomes homosexual marriages. Many people in the church cite Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 as evidence that God does not look well upon homosexual marriages and relationships. At first glance this appears to be the case. However, if the one believes in following the letter of the law as laid out in Leviticus, why do we not condemn farmers who plant soy and corn in the same field, or those who wear cotton and polyester on the same day? Why does the church not rally against them and take up arms against them? If the church views some rules as outdated and not worth following and others as not, they are hypocrites. Furthermore, Jesus did not speak about homosexuality, however, he did speak about divorce. Why do we not cast from the church any man or woman who has gone through a divorce? Does this not make them hypocrites? Jesus did not speak about homosexuality, but he did strongly condemn hypocrisy. Further still, some may offer the writings of Paul in I Corinthians and I Timothy. Paul was charged with teaching the teachings of Jesus. As previously mentioned, Jesus did not say anything about homosexuality. Moreover, Paul was a Jew, this meant that he knew and followed the law of the Old Testament. If this is the law that he new and followed, it makes sense that it would find its way into his letters. Paul is not Jesus, his teachings are not law. Paul's letters are simply a means of showing a possible interpretation and application of the teachings of Jesus. While on the surface it may appear that the Bible tells us what God thinks of homosexuality, the truth is that much of the law of the Old Testament is outdated and no longer relavent.

9. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

No, being homosexual is not a sin according to my study of the Bible. If people tell you it is, challenge them to go back to the original Hebrew and Greek meanings of the English word "homosexual" and study the culture of the day and the context of the Scripture. God does not mess with the dignity of his created beings. A gay person bears the image of God the same as a hetero does, and He loves you just as deeply as a straight person. I believe it matters to Him how you use your sexuality though. If you are a follower of Christ, I think it is important that you have sex within a loving, committed relationship and not just to play around or play the field. It's not for us to impose this ideal on those who do not believe as we do, though I think it would be for their greater happiness and good if they did follow the Bible's wise advice.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being gay is not a sin! If God loves everybody than being gay is not an abomination!

11. shinystarainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys for responding! Great answers!!! Lots of love <3