1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Avoided

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Starshine16, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Starshine16

I am seriously wanting to kick myself for coming out to my best friend a few months ago.We have been really busy so a few weeks ago we made plans with my family and her family to have dinner together and she chose not to come at the last minute.And they were all going to come tonight,but she just called and she said that she had really bad cramps and cannot come.I can't get past the feeling that she is avoiding me on purpose since both times she has cancelled on me and both times were after I came out to her.

I never ahould have come out to her.I miss her and I really wanted to see her.

2. mnmpython

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out to friends really lets you know who your true friends are, I would suggest bringing it up to her and just straight up asking her about it. When I was 18, I told my best friend (who was also my roommate) i thought i might be bi bc i liked girls (this was before I realized i was lesbian of course), anyway she said it was all cool and it was ok, then a couple days later she told me it made her uncomfortable to give me hugs and shortly after that she gave me the best friend boot by completely avoiding me and putting my stuff i had around the house onto my bed. I was crushed and decided that I had to choose between having friends or liking girls so back in the closet I went for another 2 years. I wish I had known how ok it was to be gay and that better accepting friends were out there, because it was miserable running away from it and hiding it. But the fact is, most people in their teens to about 24 are very insecure about their own sexuality and act that way towards anyone even their friends who are discovering who they are as well.

3. Greggers

Give her some time, and try not to bug her too much!

Its hard for some people to accept, but if you were really close friends im sure she will come back with open arms. Let her soul search and see what she thinks about it, and only confront her when it gets really bad. If it gets to the point were your about to lose her as a friend do what you must! Losing good friends is always horrible :frowning2:

4. starfish

I know it hurts but I think you did the right thing by telling her.

Mark Twain once said. "If you loan a man twenty dollars and you never see him again, consider it twenty dollars well spent". I think a similar sentiment applies here.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remain open and friendly towards her. Send her an e-mail or text today - "Hope you're feeling better today. Missed you last night!"

Lex

6. Starshine16

I texted her this morning saying that I hoped she felt better and that we missed her and she said that she felt really bad that she didn't come.I don't know if she's being sincere about it or if she was really trying to avoid me.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't speak for all situations, but generally, if someone's avoiding you, they don't then apologize for not being there. They just cut contact. I'd say believe her. :slight_smile:

Lex