1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to Straight Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theproletarian, Jul 25, 2015.

1. theproletarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi :slight_smile:

So I have had this straight friend for a while who I have had a crush on for a long time.

I help him out a lot with favours and help etc, so over time he has become a bit dependent on me.

Anyway as the crush became more pronounced over time, sometimes I would drunken message him and say stuff about how sexy he was etc, and then just cover it up as a joke the next day.

Last week, however, I came out to him and told him I had a crush on him. He was totally cool about it and said it didn't worry him, but he had a gf and nothing would ever come off it.

I was worried that telling him would drive a wedge between us, but it hasn't and we've still been talking.

Buttttttt, the objective part of me says that he only really uses me for my help and that I should cut off contact because the unrequited love hurts. On the other hand, I feel if I got rid of him I would be lonely.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :icon_bigg

2. YinYang

I'm pretty much in the same situation. My advice would be to distance yourself a little, not enough to ruin the friendship or anything, but just stay away from him for a while. It really helps to get rid of the crush. For example, only see him every week or two weeks rather than every couple of days. Once you feel like the crush is gone, you can start to hang out with him again. That's basically what I'm doing.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

If you need a break from him for a few weeks or months, then do that. I too had unrequited feelings for my best friend, but we still happen to be friends today with no feelings at all whatsoever.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You should really consider distancing yourself from him for a while. I've had that happen to me as well, after some time things were cool between us again. Again, you should just follow your gut instincts before doing any decision. Best of luck to you :slight_smile: