1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My family's falling apart... help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sdc91, Dec 20, 2008.

1. sdc91

I don't know what to do anymore.

My parents just disowned my older brother (like he just walked out the door with all his stuff 2 minutes ago) and my dad choked me and I have 2 scratches on my neck and he ripped my shirt because I took the remote control because he wouldn't pay attention when I tried to tell him to talk it out with my brother (he's the problem because he won't talk to anyone about some "problem" that he has and no one knows what it is). My brother's getting married tomorrow and now my dad won't attend the wedding and my mom won't go because my dad's not. We don't even know what the problem is!!

I think I'm going next... my family's falling apart and I'm trying so so hard to keep it together but my dad won't do anything because he's so stubborn and he can't apologize for anything. I'm not expecting any money for college anymore or inheritance or anything. If he hadn't already paid for my next semester of school I don't think I'd be able to go back.

I'm so scared and lonely and sad and I don't think I can go to sleep tonight but I'm the best man in a wedding tomorrow and this is just the worst thing I've ever had to go through. I can't even see what I'm typing because I'm crying so hard.

2. crimsonarcher

oh, sorry man, it sounds so rough!
    :frowning2:
    Sounds like my dad; so stubborn, screams at me to tell me to not scream, when I didn't scream....i don't know, he's weird.
    But why was your brother disowned?

3. sdc91

My dad says my brother's done things that he's not happy about, but he won't tell them to us (including my brother). For all we know, it's over cost of the wedding because the bride's father suggested that the families split it 50/50, but when we bring it up he dismisses that and says my older brother's done some horrible things. Except he won't tell us what they are and from what I know my brother's done nothing at all. My dad thinks my brother manipulated me into trying to get them to talk, so that shows how paranoid and messed up he is.

4. george678

Well your Dad needs to go to the wedding or he will regret it.

5. sdc91

We've tried telling him that.

6. biisme

I'm sorry. He choked you? Did he say anything about that afterward?

7. george678

Yes choking is very bad, and if he cant grow up and not go get your Mum to go no matter what.

8. sdc91

I don't know what's happening tomorrow.

No, he doesn't bring it up after. He tried to choke me a second time but I fought him off. It's not the first time he's physically abused me.

9. george678

Thats bad why does he do that?
    Thats just well what can I say to that?
    I think you need a "word" with him.

10. sdc91

He doesn't listen, that's the point. He ignores you and shuts you out. We've tried talking (not about my specific problem). It's useless.

11. george678

Hmm... Does he listen to your Mum?

12. crimsonarcher

If he continues to hurt you that badly, or worse, you should definetly consult authorities, because an angry father who's abusive can be dangerous. If it comes to that, of course.

13. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Hey Coops, first of all *Hugs*

I know you've already said that your dad and brother won't tell you what's going on, but that's what the source of the issue is here. If their not willing to work things out together than it will be impossible to settle things until they talk to someone else. Usually things are said once the initial wave of anger fades, so give it some time. Once this issue is revealed then maybe it will shed some light on what's really behind all of this and perhaps you'll be able to help.

About what your dad did for you; I've had some physical abuse as well, though I have only been choked by an older sister once about two years ago. Physical hurt does horrible things to your psychology, but it's pretty apparent that your dad is incredibly angry. Give him time alone to cool off, don't play with fire at it's hottest. . .

And about college and everything in general, don't worry bro, again, in time things will settle down and be back to normal. But in the case that things do not go that way(which are very rare occurrences) know that they'll always be people to help you; of course me and other fellow ECers, but more importantly people close to you that you can talk to. You'd be surprised by some of the generosity in today's world and how close it is. Never give up looking for it Coops. Never give up trying to find the light, or waiting for it.

I hope everything gets better, and if you need anything you know where you can find me.

14. george678

Yes I am online for about 8 to 14 hours a day! :slight_smile::wink:

15. Ben

Ben

Your dad is probably just using your brother as a reason to get angry. It's possibly just a minor thing that he's blown out of proportion to himself to justify his anger.
    It's not very safe to live in a house with someone who tried to choke you and has problems like these. You may need to get away from him for a while, and if he steps his foot out of line again calling the authorities might be necessary to get him the help that he needs.
    It may be worth trying to speak to your mother about this, and make sure he doesn't take his anger out on her either. Because if he does, you really need to get him sorted out.

16. Jim1454

I hope you go to your brother's wedding. Your dad has handled this situation horribly - but there's nothing you can do to change the past. You can only have an impact on today. Focus on today.

If your dad throws you out for no reason, maybe you'll be able to crash with your equally-disowned older brother and his new bride! (I'm sure they'll LOVE that!)

17. george678

How did the wedding go?

18. Pendrin2020

Stay Calm, but do not stay SILENT. Don't ever let him touch you again. There is nothing in this world that gives him the right to do that. Father or Not.

Good Luck.

19. george678

20. sdc91

The wedding went well. He turned up after all, but he didn't bother to comb his hair. The picture taking after the ceremony was really awkward. The reception was a lot of fun, though. My family isn't that fun... almost no one from our half of the wedding guests danced, but a lot from the bride's did.

I'm still mad at him, but you can't stay mad forever.

Older brother is still gone... he's never coming back to our house, but at least his wife's (feels weird typing that!) family is 10 minutes away. I'll probably go visit them for Christmas after I'm done opening presents here.