1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I came out by text... What now? HELP

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MagentaGould, Jul 25, 2015.

1. MagentaGould

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey everyone, I'm a trans woman and I came out to all my friends and dad through facebook but my grandparents raised me, they have been really helpful over the last few months as my mum passed away in may which still haunts me. Anyway, I didn't have the courage to tell my grandparents over the phone or in person (I'm in student living in the uk) so I told them this by text 'There's something I need to tell you and it's really hard... I'm transgender.' Now I know that was a bad idea and now they are calling me and want to see me... my nans sister (mtf) is trans post-op... and my nan didn't take it too well. They want to see me on Monday evening... but I don't know if I have the courage too and I won't feel comfortable in womenswear around them.... I really don't know what to do! Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2. MagentaGould

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Can anyone please help!!!!!!!!! I'm seeing them tomorrow

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't know if my post came in too late.

First off, I think it's awesome that you worked up the courage to come out (even if you haven't had the change to explain yet). What's important is that it's out there. But what comes next is just as crucial.

When they come over, try and keep absolutely calm. Prepare responses to some questions you think they may have, explanations for the most important stuff, and/or resources to show them.

I remember when I told my older brother I was trans... I basically sat down with him and said "I have something I need so say... [insert 3 minutes of awkward filler words] but I'm transgender." Then I told him it was really hard for me to talk about it so I wanted him to watch this video. It's by a trans-guy named Chase who explains what being trans is all about.

It might help for you to find a video - probably by an MtF trans person - that explains some general stuff. That way, you can be calming down while they watch the video, they can be educated, and then it's the perfect bridge for conversation.

Since you have told them, I don't think you should hide who you are around them anymore (unless it's dangerous to).

Good luck, sister. Let us know how it goes.
    -Gray-

4. Justforyou

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well i dont think i will be much help but just want to say well done on having the courage to come out and wish you the best of luck going forward.