1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of coming out to anyone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alder, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone who is pretty tired of being in the closet and being presumed straight, I sure am terrified of directly and honestly telling anybody in my life about my sexuality. I've tried dropping hints here and there but I've never had the courage to really just come out and say it.

I really want to though, because I feel I'm just going to drag this one on and on. I'm finishing some school where I live now and moving in a year or so, so I really want to come out to some of my closer friends here before I leave. It'll also make it easier for me, I assume, to be able to be out and have a new better start (and more open life I suppose) where I'm going, if I'm already out with people here. But I have no idea how to breach the subject to my friends and I'm pretty scared to. Even with those who I'm fairly certain aren't homophobic, I feel like telling them this is such a big thing to get out there, and I'm just scared of the consequences I suppose.

Does anyone have any advice? How could I come out to some of my friends and still ensure my own safety/privacy in some aspects? I know for a fact that I can't come out to my parents just yet, and I hope the news doesn't reach them if I do.

2. j13

j13 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    whilst I would never encourage anyone to come out before they are ready, you sound like you have really thought this through. If you are ready to come, you should.

I found myself in a similar situation. When I finished school and moved away for further education I thought it would be the perfect time to come out. For lots of reason, I failed to take that opportunity. I wish I had. 4 years later, I am 2 months off finishing my tertiary studies and will be applying for jobs in my area of study. I want to move away to the city (I am from a small town) and I want to come out before I go.

This time around, I really hope I have the confidence to do it.

3. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely think it through more before I really do it but I'm probably going to, at least to one good friend before I leave here. Best of luck to you too my friend!