1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Anderlo, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Anderlo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really want to come out to my parents sometime soon. Every time I set a date to do it, I never follow through. I know my parents will be accepting and nothing bad will happen, but I can't seem to bring myself to go through with it. My sister actually came out earlier this year, and while my mom took some time to get used to it, she's totally fine with it. I thought this would give me the courage to nut up and come out, but it didn't. My sister is in her early teens, and i'm in my early twenties, which makes me worry that my parents will think that they did something to prevent me being comfortable with coming out to them. I don't know. I'm all worked up over nothing, and I realize that, and I don't know if anyone can really say anything to make me feel better about it, but I figured getting it off my chest somewhere could help.

2. Tandthegreens

It's all up to you. When you think the time is right, do it. I will offer advice from my own experience though. I didn't come out to my friends and family. I was outed. However, they were all perfectly comfortable and supportive regardless. I now deeply regret the fact that I didn't come out myself sooner and save myself years of worry and fear.

If you know they'll be supportive, go for it. They'll be more concerned with you and your own well-being to think about whether they made a mistake because you took longer to come out than your sister.

3. 50ishandout

No matter what age you Come Out at, it should be when you are comfortable with it. I'm sure your parents will not think for a moment that they had anything to do with your Coming Out after your sister.

Hope everything goes well.