1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out Letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hawk, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm going back to my original thought and write a coming out letter to my parents, but I wanted some feedback on it, how does it sound? I'm not great at writing, so anything I may have missed, or should add would be greatly appreciated. (*hug*)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mom and Dad,

There's been something on my mind I've been wanting to tell you for a while now, I've been trying to think of the best way to tell you this, and it's not easy for me to say this, but I'm a transguy.
    This has nothing to do with how you raised me, you're both the most supportive and amazing parents I could ask for.

Are you sure this isn't just a phase?
    I assure you this isn't a phase, I've been experimenting with things, and I feel much more comfortable presenting myself as male.
    I've also been getting body dysphoria which SUCKS, the thing I've been getting the most dysphoric about is my chest, and I hate it when there's nothing I can do about it, then there's other days where I end up breaking down.

How are you sure you're really a boy?
    Ever since I was little (8-10) I remember having thoughts of "if I were a boy tomorrow, how would I go about telling people?" I'd much rather have people see me as a guy and call me as such.

Love your son,
    Jason

Dysphoria - discomfort with the physical characteristics of a person’s biological sex, such as one’s breasts (or lack thereof) or one’s genitalia

2. alli o

alli o Guest

First off great letter and I am very proud you are finally ready to tell your parents such an important part of your identity! As for the letter it is wonderful and very well written but I do have a few suggestions. If you are hand writing this ignore this part but if this is going to be email format I would recommend a couple of links to websites that may help you parents understand and except this! Also while I love your email and think it wonderful constructed this website does have a spot with tons of other letters already written, you can find this by going to the top of the page where you can click "resources" then "coming out letters". Hope this helped!

3. XxSunXDragonxX

Dear Mom and Dad,

There's been something on my mind I've been wanting to tell you for a while now. I've been trying to think of the best way to tell you this, and it's not easy for me to say this. I'm a transguy.
    This has nothing to do with how you raised me. You're both the most supportive and amazing parents I could've ever asked for.

Are you sure this isn't just a phase?
    I assure you this isn't a phase. I've been experimenting with things, and I feel much more comfortable presenting myself as male.
    I've also been getting body dysphoria which SUCKS. The thing I've been getting the most dysphoric about is my chest, and I hate it when there's nothing I can do about it. There's other days where I end up breaking down.

How are you sure you're really a boy?
    Ever since I was little (8-10) I remember having thoughts of "If I were a boy tomorrow, how would I go about telling people?" I'd much rather have people see me as a guy and call me as such.

Love your son,
    Jason

Dysphoria - discomfort with the physical characteristics of a person’s biological sex, such as one’s breasts (or lack thereof) or one’s genitalia

I just replaced some commas with periods, removed and added some words, etc. It gets straight to the point, and I like it! I think you're all set man! :thumbsup:

Good luck, and I wish you the best! (*hug*)

#3 XxSunXDragonxX, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. Hawk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you both for your feedback, the only thing I might change is I might make the dysphoria definition into a Q&A like I did with the other two. (*hug*)

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Acknowledge the difficulties they may have in receiving and accepting this news and point them in the direction of help/support organisations , like PFLAG (include a website address for them). If your parents want/need more reliable information, it's always a good idea to offer some pointers.

6. Hawk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, I'll try and find some good links I can add. I think I might hold on to it for a little longer. I think I'm going to ease into things by first telling them I've just been thinking about these things, see if they're cool with it, then give them this.
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. (*hug*)