1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by starfish, Dec 21, 2008.

1. starfish

I want to come out to my parents, but I am not sure this is the right time.

We are going to have Christmas at my grandmothers house with the whole family and then I am going up to their place to spend the next week with them. It is about a 6 hour drive from my grandmothers house and a 9 hour drive from my place. So I'll have a lot of time alone.

Normally I would fly to my parents, but my they have a garage and I want to do some work on my car while I'm off work. Some of the stuff I want to do is a 2 person job, so I figure it will be a good way to spend some time with my dad.

Here are a few things I am worried about. We will have my great grandmothers 100th birthday party on the penultimate day of my visit. There is a lot of family coming into town and who knows how many more birthdays she will have. I'm worried about my dad reacting badly and there being a lot of tension between him, mom, and myself while everyone else is there. If things go too badly I need the option to walk away and give them space and I know it would really hurt my mom if I missed the party.

The final thing I am worried about is the 9 hour car ride back. That is a lot of time alone to rethink every little thing that happened.

I'm thinking it might be better to wait until I fly up there sometime in April to tell them. At the same time I am ready to be out and move on with my life. I'm just tried of all of the excuses of why I don't have a girlfriend. I mean honestly it has been the same lame excuse for the past 10 years, I'm too busy. I know it is a cop out and I am tired of it, I just want to say it is because I like guys and I am looking for a boyfriend.

Any words of wisdom?

2. EM68

Personally I would wait until you just are with your parents, unless your are planning to come out to your grandmother. if you do not want to wait tell them on the last day of the trip. What ever you do good luck! I plan to come out to my parents after the new years. I can not wait!

3. Mickey

April sounds like your best choice. That way it will not interfere with everything else going on. It will give you time to talk without any distractions.
    I know coming out is hard and I give you lots of credit for doing so.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, it sounds like this might not be the best time with all that is going on. Your parents are probably already a little stressed with throwing a big party and the holidays going on.

5. starfish

Thanks for the advice. You are right I need to wait for things to settle down.

Funny thing is that at work I am always getting onto my guys to quit being in a hurry and do things right first time. Guess I should listen to my own advice.

The more I think about, waiting will be better. Everyday I'm getting more comfortable with the fact that I am gay and by April it should be no different that the sky being blue. I think it will be easy to deal with any potential problems when I am secure with myself. Just sure would be nice to have them supporting me along the way. Oh well guess that is the way the Mercedes Benz.