1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Go or Not To Go

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shaylyn, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Shaylyn

Ever since my parents have been divorced I've spent Christmas Eve at my mom's house and Christmas Day at my father's house. This year however...I'm not sure if I'm going to go to my father's.

He found out I was bi in October, when my girlfriend slept over and stormed out of the house at 1:30 AM to drive back home (which is two and a half hours away) after taking about 10 Tylenol PM pills. She was screaming at the top of her lungs in the middle of the street that she was just going to mess up my life and that I should run as far away from her as I could...he kind of figured out that we were more than just friends from that. He literally dragged me out of her car into the house.

It was the first time I'd seen him in a month (we had been in a previous fight)...and it was his birthday. Neither of which helped the situation.

We've talked once since after the fight. He took me out to breakfast and tried to convince me that being straight was a much better choice.

Then, yesterday I get a message on my cell phone from my dad inviting me over for Christmas. Just a simple "We're having Christmas here again this year, if you want to come, give me a call. Bye."

Half of me wants to go, half of me is incredibly mad at the fact that he thinks he can invite me to go and I'll just act as if everything's okay.

Eh...ideas, advice?

2. epiphanies

I have had an interesting history w/ my dad, and I'm kinda in the same boat (except he doesn't know I'm bi.) Try to go. It is only one day out of the year, and he may be trying to mend things. I know it's hard and it may be awkward, but you don't want to cut ties w/ your dad. At least he told you he was having Christmas at his house. I think you should try to go. You don't know the next time you'll see him, and things might get more awkward as time goes on.

3. Beth

it might be a good idea,but then who wants an awkward christmas? it might be wrong to skip it all together though because its a good thing to share christmas between both parents
    only one way to find out how things are though i guess & thats to go to your dads...
    you could always leave?

4. Pendrin2020

My parents don't yet know for sure so I'm not the best person for advice on yer folks. But there is some really great stuff in the coming out section for what to say and how to explain what's going on to them if they ask certain questions.

If you don't want to go, don't go. You're 20 years old and you're allowed to be you. But if you go, based on what you said earlier, be prepared to stand your ground and be true to who you are.

good luck.

5. starfish

I lost my mother† to cancer nearly four years ago. We never had a good relationship, I had always hoped that we would patch things up. My only true regret in life is that I did not make better use of the time we had together.

So it may be awkward and hard, but if you can do it I would recommend going.

†For those following along at home I have a mom and a step mom. I generally reefer to both as my mother. I am talking about my biological mother in this context.

#5 starfish, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  6. MusikFreakk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You should go,you won't know what's gonna happen,he might apologize or something.

So i suggest you go..and like the other poster said,You don't know what would happen after time passes..