1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Annael, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Annael

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay so I'm only out to two people, and I really wanted to come out to my best friend. But, she's slightly(?) homophobic so I don't really know if I should or not... and I started making a little list for myself, and I thought it would be good idea to ask y'all what to do? If you were in my situation would you take the leap or nah?

Reasons why:
    • She’s my best friend and I love her
    • I can finally talk to her about my problems instead of keeping them to myself
    • What’s the point of a best friend if you cant tell them everything
    • I know she disapproves of homosexuality because it goes against her extremely christian faith, but she still has gay friends, meaning that she won’t cut me off completely right????
    • She already knows I’m against the homophobic bullshit that the church pastors preach about so maybe it’ll like soften the blow a bit??? idk
    • But if I tell her and she’s okay with it I’ll be able to tell all of my friends with confidence (not my parents though yet) because like idk if she can accept me so can the others and also if I tell her the others are going to find out eventually anyway
    • Plus it is unbelievably annoying to not be able to say anything that would give myself away
    Reasons why not:
    • So much shit can go wrong
    • What if she thinks im lying
    • What if she tells her parents
    • What if my family finds out
    • What if she outs me to someone else before I'm ready to do it (on purpose? on accident?)
    • What if she does cut me off
    • What if she doesn’t feel comfortable around me anymore
    • What if she gets mad
    • Even stupid little things like being bus buddies for band and everything could be gone
    • I spend so much time with her, so if this goes badly wow I’m fucked
    • It might make things awkward like I’m p sure that she wont want to do things like sleepovers anymore
    • What if she thinks I’m doing it for attention
    • She’s going to shut off at least some parts of our friendship and I don’t know if it’s worth it to lose even a little bit of her
    • Once the others find out, which I know they will, I’ll feel like more of an outsider than I already do and they might low key shove me out
    • The smart thing would be to wait until after graduation... But that’s so far away... And I want her to know now
    • I want her to get to know who I actually am instead of a little “oh yeah, sorry I didn’t tell you im actually really into chicks too… k bye time to go to college”

so WWYD?

2. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that coming coming out to someone is all about trust. First of all, do you trust her completely? if your that serious about this and you tell someone they wouldn't tell anyone and if they did, they're not a very good friend. Also, if she's really your best friend she won't judge. I've only told 5 people I'm gay and they've supported. Lastly, you should only tell who you want too, so don't tell people just because they're a friend. Tell people because you trust them.