1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is coming out important?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sierpinski, Jul 27, 2015.

1. sierpinski

First of all I'd like to mention that I'm not supporting tht coming out is not important, I just really don't know.

It seems to me like a lot of trouble, awkward situations, losses. My opinion currently is that should I turn out to have a girlfriend sometime, and I'm quite sure it'll be a girlfriend, I'd tell people then. Why not? I don't know anybody too homophobic, and if I did, I don't understand how they could look me in the eye and tell me I don't love the person I love.

Maybe it sounds naive, but that's my current opinion, I'd appreciate explanations why coming out before you are dating is important.

Thanks in advance.

2. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I myself think coming out is important for a few reasons. One being it's just easier to be able to talk to someone about it. Also, some people that you might know shouldn't have to find out themselves. You only have to come out to the people you want too. That's all I can say.

3. 50ishandout

To me Coming Out was an affirmation of who I am. I've lived my entire life worrying about how people would react to knowing I like guys. I can honestly say that since Coming Out the support has been amazing. I feel like a different person.

So for me Coming Out was a good idea and teaches others that there is nothing wrong with someone being Gay. Also the people around me I think realize being Gay is only one aspect of someone's life.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out can be about not having to conceal a part of who you are--whether by lying or by omission. Not having to deal with other people's expectation that you're straight when you're not. I've been dating a girl for almost two years and I'm sick to death of "So do you have a boyfriend?" It also means that when you are dating someone, it's easier to talk about it without having to worry about coming out at the same time.

For some people it's actually dangerous to come out to family or friends, in which case waiting just to bring another person into it wouldn't be fair. Also, if someone comes out because of a relationship and they end up losing their family and friends because of it, there's a risk of fostering resentment.

5. Fentrion

On a personal level, I think coming out is a bad idea unless it is done in a supportive environment. Personally, I would not care about "coming out" to anyone other than a sexual partner.

In a collective sense however, every person who "comes out" and surrounds himself with supportive friends makes a small difference for everyone else. As more and more people come out, perhaps one day alternative sexuality won't be a taboo subject anymore.

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to say that coming out isn't important and why should anyone care. That all changed when I started coming out to my best friend and a few cousins of mine. Granted, we never talk about my sexuality but at least I have a few people to lean on if I ever need support.

As for my daily life, I don't go shouting on roof tops that I'm gay. I don't advertise my sexuality as I feel it's nobody's business.

7. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it was important because I felt the need to tell the people I feel closer too. I wanted and need them to know who I am. It's not something I did for them but for me. I knew they were gonna be supportive and, yeah, it might be probably the most awkward I've ever had, but I felt so relieved afterwards that it was worth it.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It's important in the extent that you don't have to hide or live a lie. I don't plan on dating anyone, yet I came out so everyone got that I didn't want to talk about boys.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it was important because people were trying to talk to me about boys all the time and it just got really annoying. >.< I wanted them to see me as I really am, rather than them assuming I'm a straight girl. Because that's not me!

Also, certain people were starting to wonder, and I wanted to clear things up.

I'm not coming out to distant relatives (like grandparents, uncles, aunts) until I start dating.