1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I come out??? I am attracted to someone who might not be gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gay catholic, Jul 27, 2015.

1. gay catholic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi. After about a year of having curious gay thoughts I have determined that I am gay. I want to try and come out to my family and friends, but am having some difficulties. I have grown up in a Catholic family (not devout, but catholic nonetheless) and am very proud about my religious beliefs (the one's I agree with at least). My mom is very narrow minded about the gay community in general and has said that she would be disappointed if she found out one of her children was gay. I know that I could safely tell my siblings about my sexuality because they are openly accepting of the gay community, but really don't know how to approach my mom about the issue. I really love my religion and don't want to give it up, I also really love Pope Francis and how he addressed the issue of gay marriage. He said that who are we to judge others. Only God can judge me and I truly feel that he still loves me for who I am because he created me in his image. I just took an AP Psychology course this year and briefly learned about sexuality and how it is formed and came to realize that being gay is not a choice. My psych. teacher is so incredibly amazing and accepting of others for who they are and I know that I could tell her about my sexuality. So, basically that is the issue I am having- how do I get to tell my mom??

So, I also have a back story about how I realized I was gay. Initially I began exploring different types of sexual websites and eventually transitioned completely to male sites. This is what sparked my curiosity about being gay, but I didn't fully see that I was gay until I met someone. This person goes to my school and I initially wasn't attracted to him, but now am very attracted to him. He seems nice to me, is cute, and was one of the very few people who were welcoming to me when I moved schools. I just have a slight problem because I don't know if he is gay or not. He has dated girls previously and as far as I know he is not dating anyone currently. I just have this weird feeling that he might be attracted to be, but I really don't know if he is being serious or is trying to taunt me about my sexuality because he thinks I am gay. Let me explain some of the situations (feel free to let me know if I am just reading too much into some of these things): he has booty bumped me before, sometimes he has stared at me for long periods of time, he has told my brother jokingly that I am a homosexual, one time in pe class we were dividing teams and someone jokingly suggested doing shirts and skins and he told me that he thought that I would like it if we took our shirts off, and also on a few occasions he has come up behind me and started shoulder massaging me without warning. That's all I can think of right now, but I really don't know what to think. I have noticed that he does have a right sided hair twirl, so I was a little disappointed about that. I have learned in my psych. class that left sided hair twirls do have a slight correlation with homosexuality. So, basically should I just let it go and see if he is gay with time or should I just tell him about myself?? What should I do?

2. Randomcloud

It really depends on whether you trust him enough to keep your identity a secret (if that's what you want) and to be cool about it. When he hints at you being a homosexual does he do it in a taunting way? But it sounds like he is nice from what you have said, so if you decide to come out to him, he should remain an understanding friend even if he's not gay.

How old are you? Since you're still in school I might assume you're not financially stable- and so you have to ask yourself what is the worst thing that could happen if you tell your mom? If there is a chance she would kick you out or make your life at home just very uncomfortable, it might be a good idea to not tell her just yet.

PS: the hair twirl, finger length, etc theories are not very accurate...I would not use that as an indicator of whether someone is gay or not haha