1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Already out but...new friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Leifa, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Leifa

So I've been "out" for awhile and pretty open. Everybody who was important to me knows and were either okay with it or they weren't. All good!

So pretty much when I meet new people I don't just go "OMG HEY! BTW I'M A TRANS!". And I honestly don't like calling myself that even though it's true.

So obviously I tell people who NEED to know.. like when I got my legal name change etc, etc. But what about new friends you meet in your life? Do you HAVE to tell them if you don't date them? It makes me feel like crap when I tell new people. Not because I'm hiding but because I'm being treated and seen as me. Is it wrong to let people assume? Is it wrong to let people that think I'm cis keep on thinking that?

PS: I tell new friends my sexuality if it comes up for whatever reason. It usually doesn't though. Not sure if it's relevant but *shrug*.

2. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, I think it's a personal choice! If it makes you feel like crap when you tell new people then don't! Do what's right for you, who cares what others think. :slight_smile:

3. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've always enjoyed the "You're on a need to know basis and you don't need to know" quote. I'm at the point in my coming out experience- exactly who needs to know and when. I would think not everyone needs to know everything-it's not that you're hiding anything, but new acquaintances don't necessarily need to know everything about you.